micro bevel touch-ups

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karloevaristo

Banned
Reaction score
I started to put microbevels on my knives lately, and so far so good! I small diced probably 50 big a** sweet potatoes today and then after that portioned out some fish, and I was surprised on how my edge held up…

my question is, how do you touch it up? can you even do touch-ups on a microbevel? or do you have to make a new one every time?

also just curious, who in here do micro bevels on their knives?

- Karlo :)

Hi Karlo, good question! I've starting putting microbevels on my knives recently with good results. Much longer lasting edges :)

From what I understand, you touch up at your microbevel angle with alternating, gentle, edge-trailing, stropping strokes. When you do a full sharpening progression, you sharpen at your lower angle as usual but on your high grit stone you cut in the micro bevel with 2-3 gentle stropping strokes. That should set you up with a nice clean edge too!

Home cook here. I only add a microbevel at the right side of my knife (think I got that out of one of Jon's excellent video's), it is a Nakiri - Watanabe pro 18cm (a thin, hard blade with a tendency to be chippy without microbevel).
I do touch up on a microbevel, either with finishing stone or strop.

Back