Sous Vide Anova coming soon ....

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudsy9977

Founding Member
Reaction score
Finally getting into sous vide.....ordered an anova today.....I know it's back ordered but I need time anyway to find a good spot for it in my kitchen and get an appropriate container.....what do u guys use for a container as far as a cambro.....like 12 quarts?....I got a bunch of reading to do.....ryan

The 12 qt cambro or carlisle works for 90% of "stuff". The 12x18x9 container below will hold big stuff, long stuff or lots of stuff. Small coolers work as well.

Suggest when buying container (below) that you get two lids. Use unmodified lid when brining or for stoage and use the lid with cut-out from 2.5 in hole saw for the Anova. The cheaper poly container will flex a little and put the Anova against the wall of the container. The polymagicshit one linked will not. (Note that V1 Anova will require 2.75 in hole saw) With both use a dremel to cut some ears towards the lid. The lid is for for limiting evaporation more than thermal loss.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/car...-container-with-blue-gradations/27110724.html

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/cle...ood-storage-box-12-x-18-x-9/21412189CWCL.html

Have fun and take pics.

2014-12-21%2016.28.09.jpg

It says it can withstand temps up to 160?....I thought I'd need higher than that for some things no?....thanks for the links....was it a pita to cut out the lid....good idea to get two lids ....woulda never thought of that at first....ryan

Do you find the anova against the wall of the container limits water flow?

No, the output flow direction can be controlled by rotating the skirt. My concern with it being against the wall is that the translucent container is only rated for 160F(?) and the base of the unit contains the heating element. The more expensive container is rated at 210F and is rigid enough to hold the unit away from the wall. That said, the container pictured is the cheap one and I've not had a problem with it.

It says it can withstand temps up to 160?....I thought I'd need higher than that for some things no?....thanks for the links....was it a pita to cut out the lid....good idea to get two lids ....woulda never thought of that at first....ryan

The clear polycarb is good for 210F. The translucent (as pictured) is good for 160ish. I've not had any problem with the translucent at higher temps but have replaced it with the (linked) polycarb one. Doing the cut-out is the easiest thing you're likely to do all day.

[h=2]Materials[/h] [h=3]Clear (Polycarbonate)[/h] Thanks to their crystal-clear clarity and shatter-proof construction, polycarbonate food storage containers offer fast product identification and longevity in commercial kitchens. These containers can withstand temperatures from -40 degrees Fahrenheit to 210 degrees Fahrenheit, making them perfect for use with cold foods in refrigerators and freezers. Polycarbonate food storage containers are designed to resist food acids and oils to maintain their clarity even after extended use.
May contain Bisphenol-A (BPA).

Price: $$$

Thanks Dave, never checked the other one, I'll probably go with that just to be on the safe side...ryan

Anova is running...got a few chicken tenderloins seasoned in a ziplock to test it out....am trying 60 degrees celcius for one hour?...we'll see....Ryan

You know what, it was good but very weird because of the texture....if you just bit the tender without cutting it first it almost felt raw but looked just cooked...if u cut a slice and ate it it was better but still just different....I liked it but I'll have to fool around with it...maybe a few degrees higher...I didn't sear it either which I'm sure makes a difference

I'm trying eggs now...149 for an hour...we'll see what happens...ryan

yeah the first meat I tried yesterday was chicken, it does have a different texture, I had to toss it on the grill pan

Ok so the eggs were ok I guess....it was kinda like a soft boiled yolk with the little white holding one......I was trying to get similar to a regular soft boiled egg....anyway, tried some thin bone in pork chops....came out pretty good...would do a lower temp next time probably...I did 145 for I think an hour....I got a lot of bugs to work out...lol....ryan

You know what, it was good but very weird because of the texture....if you just bit the tender without cutting it first it almost felt raw but looked just cooked...if u cut a slice and ate it it was better but still just different....I liked it but I'll have to fool around with it...maybe a few degrees higher...I didn't sear it either which I'm sure makes a difference

I'm trying eggs now...149 for an hour...we'll see what happens...ryan

For the eggs try 64 degrees celsius for 1 hour next time.

Back