Sous Vide Suggest me a starter set up

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dimag333

Reaction score
Guys I think I want to take some extra money I have in paypal and put it towards a sous vide set up. Is there a vendor on the site that I should deal with or can you guys help suggest a set up?

Steve

Japanesechefsknife.com depending where you are has a bunch of reasonable choices

I built one myself originally and later replaced it with the Anova One (much more compact and easier to use than my frankenstein creation). At $200 it's very reasonably priced.

http://anovaculinary.com/products/anova

I've used it for 72 hours in a 5-gallon bucket for 14lbs of short ribs with zero issue. For home use it's powerful, fast, and holds temp really well. I also like that I can use it in a very small container for 2 eggs, or in a 5-gallon bucket for a feast. You can use anything from a pot to a cambro to a bucket, depending on what you're doing.

thought you were talking about knives, my bad, ^^ as he suggested, the annova is a great unit @ that price

so I guess I would only need a sealer, any recommendations on that?

the VP 112 is probably the top of the line, probably more, but I don't know of them, they are wicked expensive as well, since they are chamber vacuum sealers, where as the NON chamber vac sealers are A LOT less expensive, like the PRO260, I don't know a whole lot about these just the two different kinds, someone else with some more knowledge on vac sealers can chime in

actually after doing a bit of research I like the idea of the re usable silicon zip bags, I will probably only do veg and some chick and fish, smaller cuts, how does this look?

For whatever reason Amazon prices on Cambro "stuff" are way high. Webrestaurant or Wassertrom (sp?) are much more reasonable. I would not go with less than 12 qt container. Buy two lides, one to cutout for the Anova and one to leave unmodified to use the container for brining or storage. FWIW I prefer Carlisle to Cambro. No good reason.

http://www.wasserstrom.com/restaurant-supplies-equipment/Product_414474

http://www.wasserstrom.com/restaurant-supplies-equipment/Product_213591 (x2)

Use a 2.75" hole saw for cutout with Anova 1. 2.5" for Anova 2.

Not sure what you're listed bag is giving you that normal ziplocks would not.

I've used CHEAP strip sealers ($100 Foodsaver) on over 100 tenderloins this holiday season - work fine with no liquid or marinade. I also own a good strip sealer (Weston) and a VP-112 chamber sealer. The chamber sealer is best but I can see how the $600 price tag could be a little off-putting. I've not used the submerge a baggie technique.

Cheap:

2014-10-29%2019.39.48.jpg

Better:

2014-02-13%2016.28.34.jpg

This thread asks some of the same questions. http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/21300-Anova-coming-soon

Hope this helps.

"

I actually read that thread also, that is where I got the lid idea and cambro idea from. I dont realy like the idea of heated plastic with food that is why I was leaning towards the silicon

I can't speak to the Sansaire or Nomiko (except that Nomiko has a good mailing list) Serious Eats did a comparison of a few "home" units awhile ago and presented some useful comparisons. E Rex on here has the home version of the Polyscience (if I recall correctly) and speaks well of it. The Anova pro model looks interesting but at 2x price I'll stay with V1 and V2.

there was one website that did reviews of all the new sous vide circulator, the nomiku, annova, and sansaire, there final opinion was the annova

I can't speak to the Sansaire or Nomiko (except that Nomiko has a good mailing list) Serious Eats did a comparison of a few "home" units awhile ago and presented some useful comparisons. E Rex on here has the home version of the Polyscience (if I recall correctly) and speaks well of it. The Anova pro model looks interesting but at 2x price I'll stay with V1 and V2.

I did a bunch of research and those three were really close in function (read the serious eats post). I picked the Anova because it had the best balance for my uses, and it had a nice wide range of water levels.

I would stick with the $199 Anova One, and not go for the slightly cheaper one. You sacrifice some power for Bluetooth (200 less watts, less max capacity, and less gpm for the water movement)...my $0.02

just got the anova, did some carrots to try, now got some chicken breast with some butter and thyme for about 2 hours at 144

Latest posts

Back