ANNOUNCEMENT

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWSmith

Still Plays With Blocks
Reaction score
Watch this space for a very important announcement sometime between now and February 20th. Big news for the shop and big news for me. Stay tuned! Same Bat-Time, same Bat-Channel! (Sorry...No advance hints. Just watch the space)

ill probably be at work when the announcement happens, usually when I miss stuff like this

Big Announcement!

When I started The BoardSMITH in January 1005, I had no idea where the ride would take me. I believed the full-time job I had wouldn’t last much longer due to some internal company workings and I didn’t want to be taken completely by surprise if the job ended suddenly. It did end on May 31, 2005, not a suddenly as I had expected, but it still ended. By that time I was too young for Social Security, too young to be a Walmart greeter and too old to get another good high paying job.

I started The BoardSMITH when I looked around for something to use the woodworking equipment I already had and settled on cutting boards because the ones I saw on line for sale looked amateurish and poorly made. So I started to create my design and by the time the job ended I was already working late at night and all weekends to fill the orders. Now, 10 years later, I have customers in every state in the USA, every Canadian province and 32 foreign countries. Not too shabby for a part-time start in a back yard shop.

With all this background stated, here is the heart of the announcement. I am selling The BoardSMITH. The contracts will be signed on February 2, 2015 and the new owner will take over effective March 1, 2015. The new owner has a background in woodworking and business and is more than willing to learn and make the boards even better. I plan to stay on for at least 60 days to help with the training and transition. Until the time of the ownership transfer, nothing will change. After the transfer of ownership, nothing is expected to change and the new owner wants to operate it as I have with few changes.

The next question is why? Without going into fine details, I believe I am more needed at home for health reasons now than at the shop and worked on the decision to either close or sell for many months. This wasn’t an easy decision and one that required a lot of soul searching. I wanted to sell rather than close for a number of reasons but primarily didn’t want the company I raised to simply disappear after all that hard work.

For any who have orders in the shop now, they will be completed and shipped out as quickly as possible. Orders will continue to be taken and shipped throughout the transition period as if nothing was going to change. So please be assured your order will be filled and shipped.

To all my friends and customers I have met along the way, I offer my sincerest thanks for your support and trust. You made the journey worthwhile. I realize there are some who have a different opinion of me and for them I also offer my thanks. They helped me to change things for the better and make the operation better.

wow wasn't expecting that THANKS! for all your hard work Dave!

Wow, not that is a big announcement indeed. I would only wish you all the best for whatever lies ahead. Now I regret that I have not ordered a board from you - seems like it would be too late to get one from you personally now. I do hope that the new owner will keep the high standards to which you have made the cutting boards. And I am surely not the only one who hopes to see you around here.

Dave -

Thank you for everything - your craftsmanship, integrity, humor and contributions to these forums. Wishing you the best in the next phase of your life.

Neal

You've left quite a legacy with your hobby/job. Boardsmith has raised the expectations for quality cutting boards and has raised the standards for other board makers. Win.

Now about the knife blocks.....

Best of luck Dave. It's been a pleasure. Thank You.

Holy Moly I wasn't expecting this. My initial thoughts are that I hope this works out as good as you hoped for and I wish for you nothing but the best for the future.

Thanks for the kind and flattering words guys. I wish I really deserved half of what was said. But I plan to still be around as a "plain" member and hopefully still be able to contribute a little and learn more about the fascinating world of kitchen knives. I have recommended that the new owner keep up the subscriptions in the sub-forum because it is because of the knife forums that I am where I am today. Dave Martell bought a block many years ago then posted a photo and that was the start. That original post has led to meeting a lot of you guys face-to-face and maintaining relationships that go beyond just friendships. Dave is a friend and a customer, he led me to Unconundrum, Jon and a lot of others that attended the ECG's of some years ago. Great times with some really terrific people. I wish I could name them all.

But life goes on and things change. The BoardSMITH will continue and I believe it will get better and better. I have seen and listened to some of the ideas the new owner has and I believe he has a good handle on what will be an improvement. Let him know if you have any suggestions.

Dave, I'm about to leave work and go home. I'm looking forward, as I do many evenings, to pouring a glass of wine, picking up a knife, and chopping shallots on my Boardsmith for dinner. Your cutting board is a part of how I think about my day in a way that few material objects are. Thank you.

+1 happy I snagged my second just in time! All the best

Hihi, amateurs, my 4th and 5th will ship in a few days 😁👍💪☺️

Stefan

David - I always enjoy my giant BoardSmith, always out on the counter; complements the million dollars worth of knives so well. You hint at health issues and whatever that is about, I wish you the best.
Seth

I just want to commend you for growing a succesful business during, arguably, the biggest recession in US history. It's also great that your concept will go on.

So boards made before March 1st will be collector items? I still have three in their boxes.

Good luck and best to you Dave.
We've begun the process of "shining the apple". Hope to grab the brass ring in a couple years.
Life is short.

I know this will sound a little strange, but I am not going anywhere for a while.

The buyer and I agreed on a purchase price and a date for the change of ownership and I gave him the contract so he could have a lawyer look it over. He returned a week later with the contract in hand and a scowl on his face. As we sat down in the office he presented a list of handwritten changes to the contract and a demand for a 10 year non-compete clause. I made the contract corrections and said I would give a 2 year non-compete clause. Then he tried to low ball the previously agreed on price, down 30%. I refused. He walked out and hasn't been back. So it looks like the sale if off for now unless another buyer suddenly appears.

Sad to hear! I wish everything would have worked out.

It sounds like maybe he wasn't the right one to trust with your good name.

Best of luck to you!

Back