Buying Edge Guard for a Masahiro 8 Inch

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inmemoryofgus

Reaction score
Hi guys, first post here.

I just bought an 8 inch Masahiro French knife and I'm absolutely in love with the thing.
I've been looking at knife guards and I thought I should get a nice one for my first real nice knife.
I was looking at a saya and was wondering if anybody has had any experience with this brand.

korin.com/Wooden-Saya-Cover-for-Gyutou?whence=
Link above for reference.

My OTHER and more annoying issue I have been having is that my knife measures about 8.3 inches and this, and most other
knife guards I have seen list their length at 8.2 inches. Am I being crazy and does it not matter?

Any help would be appreciated.

I have many Masahiro.

It all started with the 21cm(actually 21,5cm) MV-H Japanese version with POM handle.

I couldnt work with 21cm knives. Only in the line. Never for preperation. I was using either 24 cm and longer, or 18cm and shorter. After this knife, I saw the light!!!

(since then, I have 3 Masahiro MV-H 21cm(since I will not use any other 21cm knife in hectic conditions), 1 24cm, a petty 15cm, a carbon gyuto 21cm(20,7cm actually), a carbon sujihiki 30cm, and two birds peak 6cm! Long live Masahiro! Unique knives, laser thin, perfectly balanced, one side edge(so you need half the sharpening ;-) ), very nice Pom handle, very quick to sharpen, cheaper and superior than most brands, but not the hardest. Hard enough to cut pumpkin shell without being damaged though. A little flexible as well, since they are thin.

Back to your question now,(else I have to start new thread): I use sayas from Koki, Japanesechefsknife.com . If you are in Europe, he is the best deal, 7USD shipping.

A better alternative, which I do not use, but it is better, healthier(since you can clean it and cheaper are Victorinox BladeSafe and the Lamson & Goodnow BladeSafe, both available at Amazon. Around 7-12 USD.

I think you have the solution now ;-)

Latest posts

Back