shinogi line

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinacats

Reaction score
Question has come up regarding the shinogi line and it seems as if I've been referring to the wrong part of the knife when referencing it? :O

I always believed it to be the line between cladding and the core steel on san-mai knives (cladding line?). In reading the glossary (Gator's) it sounds like he is referring to a change in geometry?

"Japanese term for the ridge line (B on the Diagram) formed by the flat portion of the blade and the blade path - Kiriba - D on the Diagram."

This is in reference to the classic diagram found here.

Can someone clear this up for me please?:scratchhead:

Cheers

B it is, does not matter whether it is a clad knife or not.

What you have been thinking of for a clad knife is often referred to as lamination line.

Thanks! And I've got a bunch of clad knives, pardon me now while I go and study the glossary:)

Cheers

I found Jons video [video=youtube;WYZmtDlwDi4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYZmtDlwDi4[/video] extremely helpful while learning about japanese knives, shinogi line, lamination line etc.

I also notice a lot of people miss interpreting the clad line as a hamon.

My understanding is that the term shinogi only applies to single-bevel knives, but it's what we normally call the shoulders on a double-bevel knife. i.e. it's the ridge where the blade face meets the upper-most edge of the upper-most bevel.

No, shinogi 鎬 is not only for single bevels, it is a geometric feature that just isn't commonly associated with "Western" knives.

Hazakai 刃境 is one of a few terms I've seen thrown around for the lamination line, but this community has a hard enough time with Japanese so it's probably best to not focus on Japanese vocabulary.

Back