What's your current favorite?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karloevaristo

Banned
Reaction score
what current knife that you have do you consider as "your most priced possesion"?
the one that you won't consider selling even if you no longer have money to pay rent, pay the bills, have food to cut up/eat.
the one knife that had you saying… wow, that's freakin' sharp….
the knife that just makes you want to cut sh*t up…

in other words… your current favorite… :D

mine's a carter blue super funayuki… bought it couple years back, i let go of my white one.. but not this one…

Accidentally - for me it is also Carter Funayuki, but in white #1 (I was too late to the game to get one in super blue which, frankly, I would probably prefer) - at least according to your definition - excellent cutter, great balance, perfect blade profile and I love the looks. The bigest 'cool factor' has however the Jin kogatana knife from Jon.

But that all may change as I have some really cool stuff under way.

Zakuri blue #1 funayuki...Kato 180mm gyuto probably runs a close second. I've got a lot of pending stuff though so it might change, but that Zakuri is hard to beat.

One favorite is hard, so unfair. But i like Takeda for a general gyuto right now: high heeled, plus steel/HT/geometry gives me this feeling of a not as delicate, but still pretty sharp japanese knife. The edge retention is just a bonus.

Gesshin Kagekiyo 240mm k-tip gyuto. Just falls through food and feet:D

Fugimoto blue carbon #2 240mm gyuto, love from first sight, hand hammered look in intense, dark blade. holds a great patina, initially wasnt amazing, but after a 8 k stone its pure sexy time. Runner up in my little 95 mm westren deba, its a fun little toy, plus I dont know anyone else with one, so its unique.

Tilman Leder ~245 gyuto in 1.2442 carbon. Balance, grind, heat treatment and fit & finish combined with custom profile:)

Other keepers are CCK, Watanabe, Kochi, Zakuri and Sabatier

Every time one of these types of threads pop up I have a different pick. While it's hard to choose as every maker has their own characteristics and strengths, I'll pick my Andy Billipp 10" 51200 gyuto

Watanabe 165mm Nakiri. Kurouchi white #2. Effortless slicing, best release of any knife I have owned and after a few strokes on the felt strop the edge gleams as new.
The reaction from friends when I hand this blade over with a bell pepper on the board tends to be the same...laughter at how much sharper it is than one might expect.

Every time one of these types of threads pop up I have a different pick

Yeah, me too, ain't life great:viking:

Be well,
Mikey

Every time one of these types of threads pop up I have a different pick. While it's hard to choose as every maker has their own characteristics and strengths, I'll pick my Andy Billipp 10" 51200 gyuto

it doesn't make sense for me to pick a favourite, but this is up there for me, as well. Unbelievably good....

Lol, since I can only choose between a Tojiro DP and my too short Korean "cow knife", I'd say the Korean one. Made of recycled steel, likely old springs, (probably 51200) and takes an incredible edge. Stay sharp even when I do silly things like split half ripe pecans to see how they are developing, right through the half-hard woody shell. Bites into my cutting boards, even the edge grain ones.

Might have to find one about 240mm though, this one is about 180 and clumsy as a result. Rough as a cob, too, but looks ain't everything!

Not that I want to part with the Tojiro, though....

Peter

Probably my Tanaka R2, but I really do like the new Kono Fujiyama I picked up.

It's a close call probably western Kato with the slim lead over Gengetsu semi stainless both 240 gyutos

I have to mention the 270 HHH Tuxedo gyuto as well. Not only is it a great performer, but there's an even greater reason why it will never see a price tag- I won it the day my daughter was born. This knife is, by all means, hers. And when she is old enough, she'll learn how to use and care for it.

Marko Tsourkan 250mm western in AEB-L closely followed by my 240mm Mizuno Sumingashi in blue#1

What is this? 22 posts and the only picture shows Spam? Get your act together, guys! ;)

Stefan

Boom. For whatever strange reason, I thought was a picture free thread. What was I thinking?

AndyBillip-3_zpsbc862dcd.jpg

attachment-2_zpsab48f7a1.jpg

Woops. I don't have any good pics of my Zakuri since refinishing it a little bit, but here are some earlier ones:
Hdk6DUQ.jpg

MHzH3VE.jpg

And the runner-up:
22m33Ly.jpg

Tilman, my custom Nakiri from him is almost done :)

Tilman, my custom Nakiri from him is almost done :)

Awesome, he's getting warmed up for my cleaver. :doublethumbsup:

Are you getting Niolox or 1.2442?

Edipis, mine is based on hybrid mizuno(edge)/Sab(top profile) and then stretched.:D

Back