Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chicago Cutlery 42S and 44S review

Quote Originally Posted by psfred View Post
    Typically these knives are variable in quality, depending on age and origin. The ones made from 440C with good heat treatment in the US are not bad, although the profile and geometry isn't great as found. The ones made in China (which usually do not have the model numbers) are junk. QC was quite variable as seen by the obvious differences in geometry for what should be identical knives,

I have a pair of 42S knives, sharpened them up at 15 degrees per side, and other than more wedging than I would like, they work pretty well. Edge retention isn't great, but they are 440 stainless, what do you expect? I may learn to thin using them, good knives for that purpose as I don't really care if I mess them up.

As inexpensive knock around/lending knives they are great, easy to sharpen, hold a usable edge, and cheap enough if they walk off you won't be crying!

Peter
    I found a 42S and use it for a pizza knife. The edge has never held up well. After reading your comments I think I will also thin this one to 17 degrees and see what happens. How can you tell the USA 440C from the Chinese models. Is it by a stamping in the steel or on the handle? Thanks, Craig

I saw a new old stock package for a Chicago Cutlery 7" American Pride Chef Knife from the '80s with the cherry wood handle. On the back of the package it said made from high carbon 420 stainless steel. I wonder if it is safe to assume that is what was used in these 42s and 44s knives.

https://picclick.com/NEW-1980s-CHICA...l#&gid=1&pid=7

Here's a 66s new old stock package that only says "high carbon steel" when you magnify it enough.

not sure which ones are in 440c that are referred to.

Nice work on the blades. Have you buffed them already? I have found hat makes a huge difference regarding stiction/wedging and food release. I would have kept the original handles, though. Those "nice" wood handles seem a case of slight "over-restoration" to me.

I would polish the heck out of it, yes that will improve it's release of food, not so much edge retention. Those knives were sold at many department stores back in the day. I think they are as good as modern day Wustoff standard line of knives.

Quote Originally Posted by mhpr262 View Post
    Nice work on the blades. Have you buffed them already? I have found hat makes a huge difference regarding stiction/wedging and food release. I would have kept the original handles, though. Those "nice" wood handles seem a case of slight "over-restoration" to me.
    I didn't take the blades to a high polish. I think 600 grit was about as high as I went for them just to hide some of the thinning scratches. These are beater knives, so I didn't want to put any more work into them. The blades could use more work to blend the scratches, but they are functional and I only use them when traveling. So no big deal there.

For the over restoration, these were really just practice knives as these were some of the first knives I put handles on. In order to get better I needed to do quite a few re-handles, so I bought these for the sole purpose of re-handle practice. As a bonus I think they look and handle better.

Thanks everyone for all the compliments. It was fun working on these and I learned a lot. Especially about thinning blades. It is a lot of work, and on the 44S I thinned the blade flat, which did not lend well to food release. Convex is the way to go, and if I can, I will try to include some convexity in my next attempts.