Thoughts about this special knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteyh

Reaction score
So, I was just doing some browsing and stumbled upon this knife :bigeek: .
And I must honestly say, it rendered me speechless. I know the page is in german, but what are your thoughts on that knife?
I mean, can it be really worth that amount of money apart from the diamonts and platin used?

Hey, at the current exchange rate , it's practically a bargain 😁. Can anyone translate the specs on it?

Benuser translated some info on them from a German knife forum. More hype than real performance. They sell similar styles for hundreds of dollars rather than 10's of thousands of dollars. Makes some of my knives look like bargains now.

I have stumbled upon those knives some time ago (though it was not these freaking expensive ones) and thought that the design could be interesting. But that is just ridiculous amount of money for a knife, or if you like, a really unwearable piece of jewelry.

They say: Cutting edge has thickness of just 0.8um, while common kitchen knife has 60 - 80um.

Whatever - whoever will buy this knife will probably make it part of some collection, so it does not have to cut at all. The diamonds on the bolster look awful IMO.

While Lars Scheidler is a very skilled knifesmith, he is even more a evil marketing genius. He designed so-so good, yet very blingy knives for a special clientel. He is not aiming at cooks, not at knifenerds or housewifes. He is aiming at those, who already have everything and trophywives that dont know what to buy next...Through my job i happen know some of them (they come in pairs, you know). And boy! They are buying these (not the superduperexpensive ones, but the ones in the 1-2K-Area) like crazy! And they dont even cook or sharpen..
I tried one of soul-line (production knife) and i must say: its not a bad knife. But (as you might have guessed) grotescly overpriced...On the other hand, they even come with different handles ;-))

My take: given a present i would keep it, otherwise: stay away

Greetings
Benjamin

For this kind of money - buy 150000 7$ Chinese cleavers, arm and army, take over the country and ask the knife to be given to you as a tribute.

I am new here, just looking around at decent knives and trying to improve my sharpening skills.

...Through my job i happen know some of them (they come in pairs, you know). And boy! They are buying these (not the superduperexpensive ones, but the ones in the 1-2K-Area) like crazy! And they dont even cook or sharpen..

I never saw a proper review of these. Seems you got it. :thumbsup:

Hey natto
Poppenbüttel born and raised here!

greets B

While Lars Scheidler is a very skilled knifesmith, he is even more a evil marketing genius. He designed so-so good, yet very blingy knives for a special clientel. He is not aiming at cooks, not at knifenerds or housewifes. He is aiming at those, who already have everything and trophywives that dont know what to buy next...Through my job i happen know some of them (they come in pairs, you know). And boy! They are buying these (not the superduperexpensive ones, but the ones in the 1-2K-Area) like crazy! And they dont even cook or sharpen..
I tried one of soul-line (production knife) and i must say: its not a bad knife. But (as you might have guessed) grotescly overpriced...On the other hand, they even come with different handles ;-))

My take: given a present i would keep it, otherwise: stay away

Greetings
Benjamin

That pretty much sums it up... I also have no experience with his more expensive lines and no intention to ever buy one (even if I had the cash). But the cook I work for (part time job) owns a Soul knive, which afaik he got as a gift from someone else. It's basically a bunka-shaped German knife with niob-heavy stainless steel (called niolox), a 60-61 HRC-rating and a good geometry f6or a German knife (compared to Wusthof&Henckels). Not a bad knife at all, but you get at least similar if not superior performance from a stainless Ashi/Gesshin Ginga. Handle is really well done, if one likes the style...

The rest as banjo said is really good marketing, esp. given the fact that at the Soul line is only partially done by Scheidler himself (Solicut, a Solingen based company makes the blades, he only does the final grind and the handles). Which is not surprising, giving the amount of Nesmuk knives out on the market...heck, you can even find them in some malls from one of the two big German department store chains (Kaufhof).

Hallo Banjo,

i am living in Wilhelmsburg. Maybe I met you in the historic city, looking for fine kitchen tools?

greetz

No, rather not, since i moved to switzerland a few years ago....

Back