Best food to season new de buyer

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dimag333

Reaction score
I just got 2 new de buyer pans. Both I seasoned with The smaller of the 2 I seasoned with flax seed oil using the method of bringing up to smoke point and turning if off flame and repeat after cooled, just wiping on the oil very thin. I washed both in hot water first to get the beeswax off.

The first one that is very dark I got nervous becuase the oil was getting "sticky" when cooling down so I ran out and got some bacon to help lube things up, probably not the best idea as it the pan was completely uniform before I did that, after it now has some bloches I guess from where the salt pulled the seasoning away?

The second one I took my time and did less coats. It is looking pretty good, maybe only 3 or 4 coats on that one.

My questions is

1-did I do anything wrong with the first one?
2-what should I start cooking in these to get them seasoned well

The darker one is very slick when cool but gets gummy feeling when warming up, normal?

thanks as always

steve

If the oil was sticky , you likely didn't get it hot enough, long enough . If the pan is sticky after you cool it down, put it back on. I did 10 to 12 coats. THIN. Could do more.

when they are cooled down they feel like glass, very smooth almost like rock candy if that makes sense, like a jolly rancher, I can get these things pretty hot, I have 22K burners. Think I should go a bit more agressive? The brownish one is about 10 coats

yes this is the video I followed, I think I did not let it cool long enough, I was reall really thin on the oil but I guess not thin enough! Any way to go back and fix this or should I just try to "season" over it?

People have many methods to strip seasoning. There are oven cleaners, IE the spray foams. Many of them contain lye, which is nasty, but effective stuff (it's usually the main ingredient in drain cleaners). I've had success putting cast iron pans in the oven and running the self clean cycle. I'm not sure if this translates to a straight carbon pan. If you feel that you don't need to strip it altogether, try scrubbing it with coarse salt.

Barkeeper's friend takes it off, with a bit of elbow grease.

I think it is actually seasoned well just a bit thick for now, what would be a good tester food on it? maybe a vegetable?

I think it is actually seasoned well just a bit thick for now, what would be a good tester food on it? maybe a vegetable?

Fry an egg. A bit of butter, medium-low heat, see what happens.

actually that is exactly what I just did, stuck on about half, but once it released it did not stick anywhere else on the pan, what stuck to the pan came off very easily with a plastic scrapper, I am going to go slower and put a couple more layers on tonight, I think I was not allowing the pan to cool long enough

I actually did try scrubbing and nothing is budging. I just did another coat and felt while cooling down, no stickyness at all, I think the last 2 coats with waiting for the pan to cool down all the way has helped a bunch

Give it a couple more layers, and I bet it'll be fine. All of my carbon pans are in a constant flux of seasoning, because it isn't all that durable on the non-porous steel. No big deal.

Give it a couple more layers, and I bet it'll be fine. All of my carbon pans are in a constant flux of seasoning, because it isn't all that durable on the non-porous steel. No big deal.

This is exactly the conclusion I've come to after months of futzing about with mine.

I hear you guys. I've always had better luck by starting fresh. Seems like if the first few layers don't go down well that I wind up re-seasoning. I'll try to let it build next time but when I've had a good start I have good seasoning--when bad start...

I got better results using the oven rather than stove top (made of glass). My biggest burner just wasn't big enough to get the entire pan hot at the edges, so the seasoning was good except for about an inch around on the outside, and very little seasoning on the sides.

I got better results using the oven rather than stove top (made of glass). My biggest burner just wasn't big enough to get the entire pan hot at the edges, so the seasoning was good except for about an inch around on the outside, and very little seasoning on the sides.

This is exactly what happened to me when I tried to use my induction hob.

well the small one is just about black and pretty even now, the large pan I just cooked up some chicken skin for my dogs and it stuck reallly bad, but scraped off easliy, just gotta keep cooking I guess

The "sand clean" (or something like that) from Korin may have been invented for carbon cookware. When re-seasoning or deep cleaning, the med will knock off the spots where anything has stuck or seasoning is flaking. The fine (green) will finish the prep. I use the green as part of daily cleaning routine, it's just abrasive enough to clean off the bits but won't adversely affect the finish.

The "sand clean" (or something like that) from Korin may have been invented for carbon cookware. When re-seasoning or deep cleaning, the med will knock off the spots where anything has stuck or seasoning is flaking. The fine (green) will finish the prep. I use the green as part of daily cleaning routine, it's just abrasive enough to clean off the bits but won't adversely affect the finish.

You have my attention. I've been using a stainless steel scrubber and light pressure to take off burnt spots/flaking, but it's pretty easy to take more than you want, even when used carefully.

A brick is friendly to well seasoned cast iron. :)

Ha! fair enough. My induction hob was NOT friendly to my cast iron...lost a pan I'd been using for 15 years. Split from the edge to the center b/c the section over the magnet expanded far faster than the colder iron around the perimeter.

Ha! fair enough. My induction hob was NOT friendly to my cast iron...lost a pan I'd been using for 15 years. Split from the edge to the center b/c the section over the magnet expanded far faster than the colder iron around the perimeter.

Damn, that sucks. I can see that happening. I hope it wasn't a Griswold!

Back