What do you think about this santoku

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks very similar to
Minamoto Nashiji Blue #2 Santoku 180mm, you can google it and find a better price.
Why dont you try a Hiromoto AS for around 130$?

I would give it a go. Yoshihiro has a solid rep among entry level knives. Amazon has good return policy. You could do lot worse. Though a 210 Gyuto would give you more versatility and have approx the same chopping length.

You would get some tailored recommendations if you fill out the "first knife" questionnaire at the top of this subforum.

Jon at JNI has a few pretty good option. One is thinner than a typical Santoku but a rip deal imo. Zakuri 165mm Blue #1 Kurouchi Tosagata Bocho

For me the question would be - what would be the advantage over Tojiro DP santoku that should cost about half as much. I have one at home right (for testing) now and can not find any fault with it.

...a 210 Gyuto would give you more versatility and have approx the same chopping length.

You would get some tailored recommendations if you fill out the "first knife" questionnaire at the top of this subforum.

+1 to the 210 gyuto

Second point on the questionnaire would be most beneficial and would open up options that you are not aware of that may be a better match. You can find it here.

Jon at JNI has a few pretty good option. One is thinner than a typical Santoku but a rip deal imo. Zakuri 165mm Blue #1 Kurouchi Tosagata Bocho

I agree with this, that Zakuri is a great option for the money when available...in stock now;)

Yes, definitely.
The one you linked to has core a steel of VG-10 ( ~ 60 HRC)
The Hiromoto has a core steel of Aogami Super which is harder ( 62-63 HRC) and since it's carbon steel it will sharpen easier that stainless.
You just have to take care to wipe it and keep it dry. It's clad in stainless but the edge will rust if you are not careful.

Do you think the Hiromoto is a better knife than http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D6DVTM6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Its $140 with tax and shipping

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, definitely.
The one you linked to has core a steel of VG-10 ( ~ 60 HRC)
The Hiromoto has a core steel of Aogami Super which is harder ( 62-63 HRC) and since it's carbon steel it will sharpen easier that stainless.
You just have to take care to wipe it and keep it dry. It's clad in stainless but the edge will rust if you are not careful.

The one I linked first is actually $140 including shipping with a blue steel#2 which is 62-63 hrc. Would that be a good knife for the price point? I like Amazon cause it has free returns and really like that knifes look. Also it comes with a blade safe holder.

The one I linked first is actually $140 including shipping with a blue steel#2 which is 62-63 hrc. Would that be a good knife for the price point? I like Amazon cause it has free returns and really like that knifes look. Also it comes with a blade safe holder.

You know, Steven, since you've already here on KKF it's pretty safe to assume that if doesn't really matters what exactly knife you'll buy. Cause it would be just the beginning of your journey to nice kitchen knives. The one you've chosen looks good and you can always return it if it doesn't meet your expectations.
But most probably you'll be pretty happy with that knife for some time. And then you'll ask yourself how much better could be other knives. So you'll come here again and get another nice knife.

You know, Steven, since you've already here on KKF it's pretty safe to assume that if doesn't really matters what exactly knife you'll buy. Cause it would be just the beginning of your journey to nice kitchen knives. The one you've chosen looks good and you can always return it if it doesn't meet your expectations.
But most probably you'll be pretty happy with that knife for some time. And then you'll ask yourself how much better could be other knives. So you'll come here again and get another nice knife.

So true

I remember when all I wanted was a nice knife ....

Now I have about 20 nice knives. I have no idea how that happened :wink:

I suggest you get the Hiromoto. It is a nice knife ...

To me this link goes to a VG10 knife, anyway I get your point, if you want to have the option to return it go for it.
Between blue #2 and blue super I would go with the blue #2 as a beginner because it's (theoretically) less prone to chipping and a little easier to sharpen.
Also, icanhaschzbrgr and Mute-on are right.
Once you start on this journey you'll get a lot of knives, learn to sharpen, scratch your knives, learn to polish, try some rehandles etc :)

Do you think the Hiromoto is a better knife than http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D6DVTM6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Its $140 with tax and shipping

Last edited by a moderator:
fwiw, i love my hiromoto santoku. i bought it on a whim as a "home" knife just to try out a different profile and i just really wanted a stainless clad carbon knife because i think it looks cool. whilst i haven't tried the tojiro santoku, i have tried a tojiro dp gyuto and if i was to compare the hiromoto to that, the hiromoto would easily be considered the better knife even if it cost me more.

Hiromoto AS is damn nice blade for the price. Snatch one now if you can before they all go OOS.

To me this link goes to a VG10 knife, anyway I get your point, if you want to have the option to return it go for it.
Between blue #2 and blue super I would go with the blue #2 as a beginner because it's (theoretically) less prone to chipping and a little easier to sharpen.
Also, icanhaschzbrgr and Mute-on are right.
Once you start on this journey you'll get a lot of knives, learn to sharpen, scratch your knives, learn to polish, try some rehandles etc :)

Is the Hirohito As good for chopping? Also do you know what we sight I can find one on? I saw one on chef knives to go for 175. Any reason why they block that websight link on this forum?

Saying ckto here is like saying Voldemort. I don't know the reasons for it though.
I bought some Tojiros from him, when I didn't know about carbon steel so much. The order was ok. He has a hiromoto as santoku 190 cm which is close to your initial inquiry for 125$. What knife did you see for 175$? Are you adding some express shipping?

Saying ckto here is like saying Voldemort. I don't know the reasons for it though.
I bought some Tojiros from him, when I didn't know about carbon steel so much. The order was ok. He has a hiromoto as santoku 190 cm which is close to your initial inquiry for 125$. What knife did you see for 175$? Are you adding some express shipping?

Well I was heading towards the hiromoto AS as the reviews seem really good just not sure where they are selling them. Is that santoku a good buy as well?

Though a 210 Gyuto would give you more versatility and have approx the same chopping length.

Same song, second verse

Understand the Amazon thinking, however, Jon @ Japanese Knife Imports is the most professional, knowledgeable knife purveyor I know. In fact he is pretty much the reason that I have fallen down the "rabbit whole" of Japenese/custom knives. For this reason, +1 to Mrmnms earlier post on the tosagata bocho. I can assure that Jon stands behind everything he sells. Superior product knowledge, five star customer service, these are just a couple of reasons that I would select JKI over ANY Amazon purchase. JMO. :knife:

Back