Sous Vide First day, sous vide

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dimag333

Reaction score
ok guys some questions, some comments and some pics.

I got the anova (1?) in the mail today. Decided to do some carrots to try out first and then move on. Carrots came out ok, was more of a test to see if the thing was working. Now I only have a very crappy meat thermometer but that was what I was using to see if the water temp was correct, was continently about 20 degrees off (f). I am going to get an instant read tonight.

so the next step was some chicken with thyme and butter, came out good, was almost weirded out by how most it was, none of the nasty white stuff I read about was in the bag after cooking, I did take it to a grill pan though afterwards as I just started eating meat again and am pretty worried about temps along with my not being used to the texture. All in all I think I did ok.150 for 2 hourish

Last I went over to my local italian pork store and got a ribeye (I always called it a delmonico cut). So I set that guy for 2 hours at 132. Water read 20 degrees below that and the meat read 90 ish. I would think they would at least read inaccurately together if that makes sense. After such a low reading and me wanting to season one of my new pans I tossed the steak in for a couple minutes on each side to get it cooked through. Here are the pics. Waited about 15 minutes to cut it. I little raw for my taste. what do you guys think?

I have two circulators, and I've used a few more (including Anovas). None have been more than a degree or two off from thermometers that were handy.

I have a thermapen coming, until then I guess I will stick to veggies, what do you use to measure water temp

Finished product does not look too raw -- it looks pretty danged good to me :doublethumbsup: if it only reached 90s in the circulator that sure seems to me to mean it was not left in long enough. it should stay in until it reaches the temp of the water (which is your target 'done' temp).

I have a thermapen coming, until then I guess I will stick to veggies, what do you use to measure water temp

Thermapen works great. I've used a friend many times, and I just finally broke down and bout my own. Also used a Taylor Thermcouple thermometer. Similar results.

doesn't look too "raw" or rare to me, actually looks over cooked to me ( I like them still mooing

I am wondering if the thermometer just was not able to take an accurate reading as you can see the meat is not very dense. The steak was in for just about 2 hours

Looks great to me.

If you want to check your thermometer, pop it in boiling water.

I'm far more suspect of the crappy meat thermometer than the anova thermostat. You could cook meat higher or maybe a bit longer if you want it more like medium.
You don't necessarily have to cook chicken that high either. Our established safe temps for meat are based on just reaching the target at the very end of cooking. Very different rules if you can hold a lower temp for a longer time.
And the steak looks great to me!

its very hard to shift your brain away from those high temps and yeah I bet the thermometer is toast!

I do a lot of tenderloins, 3 hr @ 129F, sear then rest. Works very well, have not had anyone want more done. When I've tried to hurry the process, say 1 or 2 hrs in the bath, the temp will be right but the texture of the meat will feel rawish. Same thing with steaks. I don't hurry anymore.

You did get bath to temp before adding product?

Your steak has nice color, the way I like them. Does have a little bit of that rawish texture showing. Maybe not rested long enough either. Suggest you try a 3 hr bath, sear, rest. I would discount the 90F reading of the steak - 90 would be purple inside, or whatever color is before purple. It would have lost temp while you removed it from bag, you may have sampled near the exterior, the thermo may be suspect, etc. etc.

You can check your cheap thermo with an ice bath - lot of ice, some water, move thermo through water, should display 33/34F. Thermoworks says if its right in the ice bath it will be right throughout the range. (That may be a reach) If cold end is good, checking 212F is easy. And the temp probe on your controller is prob more accurate than your cheap thermo.

All told it looks like a good first experience. 2morrow drop some cauliflower steaks in a 185F bath for 1 hr, 15 min. Sear them in your pan, (good looking pan btw) and have a veggie dinner.

yep thermometer read 190 in boiling water, there you go!

Back