Another Newbie from Aus.....

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gnickrapon

Reaction score
Hi all,

I intend to order a Shig ASAP!!! :biggrin:

I live in Brisbane, QLD and just.....love knives. I got my first taste of a quality knife around a year ago when I was given a boxed knife set containing 2 Tojiro Flash knives. A 210mm Gyuto and 150mm Utility. I've never looked back. Reading up on caring for them I came across all manner of guides and suggestions so before I knew it, I'd purchased my first set of water stones. Since then I've purchased only 2 knives......when I decided to wade into the turbulent waters of Carbon Steels. A Tadafusa 165mm Santoku (Blue #2, SS Cladding) and a Tojiro Shirogami 120mm petty (White #2). So far, my purchases have been rather moderate to ensure I can care for the knives I buy. I'll be spending a little more on my next purchase, now that I have more confidence. Watanabe or Takeda are beckoning.....

Cheers
Paul

Welcome Paul! It's about time someone from brisbane showed up! Melbourne and Sydney are quite ahead on the member count. I'm in Redcliffe on the northside. Where are you?

Greetings! I recommend trying both Takeda and Watanabe and...

welcome mate, just came back from QLD. Stuck on a ferry in the whitsundays with that sort of rain was not funny!

Welcome Paul! It's about time someone from brisbane showed up! Melbourne and Sydney are quite ahead on the member count. I'm in Redcliffe on the northside. Where are you?

Stafford mate, love it. I do envy you living near the water though.

welcome mate, just came back from QLD. Stuck on a ferry in the whitsundays with that sort of rain was not funny!

Lol, the rain right now is all kinds of ridiculous. Haven't had that big of an issue with it fortunately. Some minor flooding in the laundry, but that flowed through quite quickly. That storm back in late November, early December, was something else though. I can't remember the last time I saw hail the size of a fist!!!! No word of a lie, a piece that size missed me by a few feet.

I'm interested to know, where do you guys order knives from? If you're looking for Japanese style/steel there are very few stockists in Australia and the ones I've found are quite pricey.

To everyone else, thanks for the warm welcome. I look forward to contributing what I can.

Welcome. Of the big 3 names you mentioned, I've had the most fun with Watanabe blades. My nakiri is my favorite knife at the moment. Enjoy the journey!

Welcome to the forums , there are quite a few knifenuts here in down under

Welcome. Of the big 3 names you mentioned, I've had the most fun with Watanabe blades. My nakiri is my favorite knife at the moment. Enjoy the journey!

Literally sent an email to Shinichi today discussing cost etc. I'll need to get a few things in line before I place the order, but he seems excellent to deal with. Oh and btw, I was joking about the Shig. I understand it's an ongoing joke around here or something.

Welcome to the forum mate

Cheers!

Welcome to the forums , there are quite a few knifenuts here in down under

Confirmed.

Back