Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cheese Knife

Anyone ever try one of these?
    http://www.knifemerchant.com/product.asp?productID=5918
    http://www.knifemerchant.com/product.asp?productID=6497
    Do the grantons help with sticking on cream cheese?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    I have a feeling Ichi is referring to the restaurant sized blocks of cream cheese, which are like 2.5" x 2.5" x 10". They also have a thick plastic wrapper instead of the foil.

Have you tried a thin and long suji with very hot water to do the wetting of the blade? One draw through pull cut should get you through the plastic and cheese no problem.
    Yes the restaurant size, I cut about 1/4" blocks then into strips for rolls, I do not have a suji
    as I am still trying to decide on a Deba I will try the hot water and see if it helps.

oivind - thought I was going to see something else... but $2,375.00

use dental floss. or piano wire. I have used that for years. Make sure the bloch is very cold. I also used it on butter
    Bert M.

Why?! Because footballs don't have wheels!

Why wouldn't a length of piano wire with a wooden peg at each end work.
    Last edited by 99Limited; 07-25-2011 at 04:20 PM. Reason: bert beat me to the same idea

I've heard this knife is some kind of technological miracle. You could always go classic. And then again, you could just wet the knife like I do, and wipe after every cut.

I cut a LOT of cream cheese at the sushi bar, and I've found that QC at the Philadelphia factory is pretty poor. The real trouble comes in when the block has air bubbles in it, and you can't really compensate for that.

I use one like this for brie and other soft cheese. It really excels at this task cause very little sticking and very little blade to clean afterwards. For semisolid cheese I use a chefs knife or a suji.

i was going to ssay a wire on a WA handle setup wuld be killer evne on most of the softer stuff
    many times we have cheese for fat ass friday night dinnner as the opener i jsut never made a custom one yet

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    I've heard this knife is some kind of technological miracle. You could always go classic. And then again, you could just wet the knife like I do, and wipe after every cut.

I cut a LOT of cream cheese at the sushi bar, and I've found that QC at the Philadelphia factory is pretty poor. The real trouble comes in when the block has air bubbles in it, and you can't really compensate for that.
    Lately I have been cutting two 3lb blocks a week, and yes the air pockets get annoying, I have yet to see one that doesn't have them.

I appreciate the tips on the wire, dental floss, but I do not think that would look professional in front of customers.

I wonder if I could put a wa handle on that classic ?

yeah, I guess on a sushi line, that would look kinda silly. Try and put the word out to see if someone would make you a custom to your specs. I'm sure one could be made pretty quick and look great in front of customers

Quote Originally Posted by MadMel View Post
    Tuna sword heated in a hot water bath??
    I want to SEE someone doing this with Butch's new tuna sword.