Cheese Knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ichi

Reaction score
What type of knife(s) do you think you want?
Cheese Knife
Why is it being purchased? To cut Phily cream Cheese What, if anything, are you replacing? None

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
Aesthetics-10 Edge Quality/Retention-10 Ease of Use-10 Comfort-10

What grip do you use? Finger Point

What kind of cutting motion do you use? When cutting the cheese I rock and push

Where do you store them? The Saya that it came with

Have you ever oiled a handle? Everyday

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use? K-Type

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing?
Stones

Have they ever been sharpened? Yes

What is your budget? Would like around 100 or less

What do you cook and how often? Sushi 7 days a week

Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)? Japan Traditional

some dental floss would work. I guess you could put a handle on it, maybe on both sides :O

AJ I thought this was good - Warning: This is well the PURE-KOMACHI series (MADE IN JAPAN)
not to be confused with the Pure-Komachi-2 series (made in China):lol2:

It seems you guy`s have never cut a block of cream cheese ?
Sticks to the knife even with wetting I only get half way through and if the wrapper breaks, well it smushes down and I lose a 1/4
The only one I found was the Wusthof Soft Cheese Knife

Ichi, the wusthoff cheese knife is a good one. But to be honest the one from bed bath ans beyond does just fine for 50 bucks less. You are not really looking for the ultimate edge in a cheese knife, it is doubtful it will ever need to be sharpened. Something thin without drag is fine. I have been using my 5 dollar cheese knife for almost a decade and I use it often. Good luck in your search.

I have a feeling Ichi is referring to the restaurant sized blocks of cream cheese, which are like 2.5" x 2.5" x 10". They also have a thick plastic wrapper instead of the foil.

Have you tried a thin and long suji with very hot water to do the wetting of the blade? One draw through pull cut should get you through the plastic and cheese no problem.

I have a feeling Ichi is referring to the restaurant sized blocks of cream cheese, which are like 2.5" x 2.5" x 10". They also have a thick plastic wrapper instead of the foil.

Have you tried a thin and long suji with very hot water to do the wetting of the blade? One draw through pull cut should get you through the plastic and cheese no problem.

Yes the restaurant size, I cut about 1/4" blocks then into strips for rolls, I do not have a suji :O
as I am still trying to decide on a Deba :wink: I will try the hot water and see if it helps.

oivind - thought I was going to see something else...:groucho: but $2,375.00 :eek2:

use dental floss. or piano wire. I have used that for years. Make sure the bloch is very cold. I also used it on butter

Why wouldn't a length of piano wire with a wooden peg at each end work.

Last edited:
I've heard this knife is some kind of technological miracle. You could always go classic. And then again, you could just wet the knife like I do, and wipe after every cut.

I cut a LOT of cream cheese at the sushi bar, and I've found that QC at the Philadelphia factory is pretty poor. The real trouble comes in when the block has air bubbles in it, and you can't really compensate for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use one like this for brie and other soft cheese. It really excels at this task cause very little sticking and very little blade to clean afterwards. For semisolid cheese I use a chefs knife or a suji.

i was going to ssay a wire on a WA handle setup wuld be killer evne on most of the softer stuff
many times we have cheese for fat ass friday night dinnner as the opener i jsut never made a custom one yet

I've heard this knife is some kind of technological miracle. You could always go classic. And then again, you could just wet the knife like I do, and wipe after every cut.

I cut a LOT of cream cheese at the sushi bar, and I've found that QC at the Philadelphia factory is pretty poor. The real trouble comes in when the block has air bubbles in it, and you can't really compensate for that.

Lately I have been cutting two 3lb blocks a week, and yes the air pockets get annoying, I have yet to see one that doesn't have them.

I appreciate the tips on the wire, dental floss, but I do not think that would look professional in front of customers. :aikido:

I wonder if I could put a wa handle on that classic ? :idea:

Last edited by a moderator:
:D yeah, I guess on a sushi line, that would look kinda silly. Try and put the word out to see if someone would make you a custom to your specs. I'm sure one could be made pretty quick and look great in front of customers

Back