Sous Vide More Sous Vide Fun, Salmon

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dimag333

Reaction score
Did some hard boiled eggs today, they came out alright, really creamy for egg salad which is why I made them, no pics.

However I did decide to try salmon tonight. I never liked salmon, really ever but my wife does. So I brined the fillets in salt water with a little sugar for just under an hour. Dropped em in the bags with a little salt and pepper, lemon zest and olive oil. Put em in for about and hour and half at 140, we like well done food in general. After that a high temp sear. The results???? The first time I liked salmon and to best describe it I felt like the seasoning wasnt trying to hide the fish but was enhancing. Fish was from local market, also grabbed a red snapper and pretty much wasted half the fish trying to fillet it, first time I ever tried. Made it with some green peas, my daughter was allowed to choose vegetable and jasmine rice with shallot, raisins and sunflower seeds (some tumeric since the kids eat with their eyes). Also made a sushi grade tuna steak for tuna salad sandwich, gotta get the food in the 6 year old some how. My 1.5 year old pounds anything

some pics

whats the point of using sousvide if your going to cook it well done? Just curious as to why you decided to go that route

it cooks it evenly and I dont have to burn the outside to get the inside well done, also the vacuum sealing seemed to help infuse flavors along with cooking it in that manor, I have only sous vide a couple things at this point

hey just a suggestion, if you want to get rid of the albumin (white stuff excreting from the muscles), prior to sous vide put it in a 10% salt brine, for 10 minutes

I did, but not enough salt

"So I brined the fillets in salt water with a little sugar for just under an hour. "

no doubt, hope I didnt come off short! I was typing on my phone

Latest posts

Back