Magnetic knife rack, knife orientation

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charon

Reaction score
Hello everyone
I store my knives on 2 bamboo magnetic knife racks blade down. I remember reading here I should put the knives blade up. Why is this better?

If they get knocked off, they are likely to bounce off the handle instead of the tip.

I've wondered if it wouldn't make more sense to store my knives horizontally with the edges up . This would require orienting 2 magnetic knife bars or (1 strong one) on the wall perpendicular to the cutting surface. This would allow for the storage of longer knives and make for a more natural grip when placing or removing them from the bar(s). Has anyone tried this?

I've also noticed that with vertical knife storage, any excess oil collects on the lowest point of the blade (just an observation)

To take this question further: how do you turn them on the rack? Showing left or right side?

I always turn them so that they are showing left side of the blade as I find it easier for grabbing them (I am right handed). The only issue is that on majority of knives kanji is on the right side so you can not see it when they are on the rack :(

And another question; do you also find the magnet to be too strong on the rack?
I have classic Wusthof magnetic rack and the magnet is to strong. Many times when I am pulling the knife off the rack it sticks too much and I end(ed) hitting wall tiles with the tip.
Now I put some plastic tape over the rack to reduce magnetic force. With 2 layers of the tape it is now perfect and knives come easily off without the danger of hitting the tip in the tiles.

I definitely face mine blade up just in case the block should ever fall.

Now I put some plastic tape over the rack to reduce magnetic force. With 2 layers of the tape it is now perfect and knives come easily off without the danger of hitting the tip in the tiles.

I put a layer of gaffer tape over my cheap Ikea magnetic rack so the blade doesn't end up scratching on the metal finish. There's nothing a roll of gaffer tape can't fix.

Tape may work fine as a matter of function, but it seems a shame as far as aesthetics; some of the racks are otherwise rather attractive. (Think of whether you'd like to use tape on your handles.)

putting them blades down, you'd have to turn your wrist to get at your knives and then you'd still need to flip the knife over, it just seems really unnatural, risk of knife tips getting blunted on top. as for left or right, i think i'm always obsessed with displaying the branding.

I would think point down you also run the risk of cutting your self reaching for something, I keep my spices under the rack and could see that happening one day

I tried to put the knives blade up. For me it's very awkward now.
My borther and I installed the racks to close to the tiles and they get in the way of the handles.
I can't pull a knife straight down without hitting the wall with the tip of the knife. Also I noticed they tend to rotate more and hit each other. ( the rack has small round magnets, 6 per rack)

I'm not saying this blade down is for everybody, but I am used to it. I can pull the knife straght up, kinda like from a knife block. I do need to have my hand in an awkward position, elbow up for a second, but it's fine.
One other thing, the knives do not rotate as much when they are resting on they ferule or bolster.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...DEbugiAw/w638-h851-no/IMG_20141101_202630.jpg

Maybe I will try a new mounting place for the racks. The owner did not let me drill holes in the tiles.

Bigger wider magnets that are not super strong are highly recommended.

Having super strong small magnets will eventually crack and chip your blade from the constant force of slamming the blade in the exact same spot.

Ohh, that's bad! My deba gets really slammed on the rack. Thanks for the info.

Having super strong small magnets will eventually crack and chip your blade from the constant force of slamming the blade in the exact same spot.

Anyone put wide chinese slicer on mag rack? It is so difficult to rotate the handle and lift the blade

Could you recommend a good magnetic rack ?

Up. Cleaner, safer removal and replacement. Keeps blades higher in event of kids being in the kitchen.

To remove a knife I rotate it in place so that spine is on mag rack, edge out, then withdraw. The tip remains controlled, the edge is safe. To replace I put the spine on first then rotate into position. It's easier to do it than to describe it. The Debas, Usaba don't get whacked. Not uncomfortable for Suji or Yani.

I had the same problem with tiles for one of the racks. A couple spacers between the rack and wall give me the clearance I need.

For Cleavers and Nakiri (and Kyocera) I made a drop in rack to hold them, rather than use magnetic racks. Can't figure a way to have blades up on this one.

Over Tile (damn that pic sucks) :

20150128_124808.jpg

Anyone put wide chinese slicer on mag rack? It is so difficult to rotate the handle and lift the blade

I've got a cck 1303 on my magblok. It's a little more difficult to remove, but I use two hands, one on the handle and one on the flat blunt edge on the tip end, and rotate the knife into its spine. This motion is how i remove most of my knives. Once there it's easy to take off and I also do the reverse when putting it on.

Back