WTB/looking to buy a knife (near future)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ikyjr23

Reaction score
So I posted a week ago about looking for a loaner and asking about 180mm vs 210mm petty size and Pensecola Tiger was willing to lend me his knife. Unfortunately I will have to do that at a later date now that my gf visited. I'm sure everyone has an idea of what the means 😳 anyway just wanted to give him a shoutout since I know I am new and not a known member yet, and he was still willing to lend me his knife to take for a test drive.

So enough of the soliloquy. The reason I am hear is to seek further advice so I figured by filling out the form for buying a knife and maybe get a few suggestions that I didn't get before. So without further ado....

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Petty/slicer 180 to 210mm range for multipurpose use

Are you right or left handed?

Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

Either although leaning towards wa-handle

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

180 to 210

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)

Prefer carbon

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

200 preferably less walk looking at the Geshin ginga 210 so that would be the highest

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

Professional

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

Multipurpose, I want a knife that is sharp enough to say mince a shallot or slice chives without damaging them but long enough to slice a terrine and down the road when I move up trim silver skin. Ect. Like Hiro Terada

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

New knife. I have western knives but I want something thinner

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

Pinch grip generally

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Thinner, sharper lighter.... A j-knife 😉

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance

Not important

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Rounded choil a plus and light

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

Yes

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

Yesv

Maybe what I'm looking for would be classified more as a line knife? Not sure

Which a tip like this knife which I like. Haven't used one like it but it seems like it would be practical for what I want to use it for. Like the other thread on here that has a knife from don. That's out of my price range but from what he described that's the type of knife I'm looking for

http://m.ebay.com/itm/390483684341?nav=SEARCH

A member brought up a good point to me. I didn't specify used or new.

It doesn't really matter as long as it's good condition and in my price range and the type of knife I'm looking for I would be interested. But as stated this might not happen for a couple weeks (near future) due to my funding problem. ( I hate being broke) recently moved new job low on totem pole blah blah you get the picture :)

Lovely looking knife but looks seems a little thick. Although I'd admit I'm not sure how thick 3.6 mm is compared to my mercer but simply by measurement it is twice as thick at the spine as the Geshin ginga

Although the ginga may be too thin for what I want to use it for. Not sure though because I've never used it. Or any knife that thin

Although the ginga may be too thin for what I want to use it for. Not sure though because I've never used it. Or any knife that thin

I am using a 270 Gesshin Ginga White No. 2 to trim all of my BBQ meats right now (weekly), including pork butts, ribs, and brisket, and it is fantastic for trimming meats and removing silverskin. I've also used it to chop herbs, slice fruits, practice Katsuramuki on soft fruits, and all kinds of other tasks. It gets screaming sharp, needs only a few swipes on my Takashima Awasedo to refresh the edge, is very light and agile, and a pleasure to use.

The steel is not super hard, so you don't have to worry about chipping. I've never chipped my Gesshin Ginga white steel knives - I have the sujihiki and Gyuto.

I am using a 270 Gesshin Ginga White No. 2 to trim all of my BBQ meats right now (weekly), including pork butts, ribs, and brisket, and it is fantastic for trimming meats and removing silverskin. I've also used it to chop herbs, slice fruits, practice Katsuramuki on soft fruits, and all kinds of other tasks. It gets screaming sharp, needs only a few swipes on my Takashima Awasedo to refresh the edge, is very light and agile, and a pleasure to use.

The steel is not super hard, so you don't have to worry about chipping. I've never chipped my Gesshin Ginga white steel knives - I have the sujihiki and Gyuto.

Good to hear I love the sound of that.

g ginga is a great knife for the $, had two in white #2 and both very good knives. don't think you'd dislike it one bit, go for 210 because i believe that's more of a handle to tip measurement, hence the 180 will be too short for slicing really.

Thanks for the feedback guys....

So I did some digging and found a konosuke hd2 on to show knife art their site needs work to make things easier in terms of navigation... Of topic

Anyway, given the choice of the ginga or hd2 which would you guys choose and why? I know that the hd2 is pretty highly regarded on many a forum including this one

I personally think either is a great choice I have a konosuke hd2 210mm petty myself and really enjoy using it at home as my all purpose knife. Sharpening is a breeze with its semi stainless steel and get's wicked sharp quickly.

So I recently got to try my bosses suisin inox honyaki. I felt it was a bit too light for my taste. So I was thinking of getting something slightly heavier. What about the Moritaka? Would that be a good choice in terms of slightly heavier but with similar thinness behind the edge?

I spoke with Jon via email and after discussing the edge profile I think the kono Fujiyama is a little to hefty behind the edge so I'm trying to find a happy medium.

I really want an octagonal (ho/yew wood ect) handle but I suppose if getting say an HD2 with a western (corian) handle like Tosho knife arts has would give me the desired weight ( thinking around 3.8 to 4.5oz) i.e. slightly heavier than the inox (60g?) and a similar thinness behind the edge, than I could live with that.

And close to $200

Get a large beverage of your choice, sit for awhile and search Moritaka.

Google syntax is "site:kitchenknifeforums.com moritaka"

Lovely looking knife but looks seems a little thick. Although I'd admit I'm not sure how thick 3.6 mm is compared to my mercer but simply by measurement it is twice as thick at the spine as the Geshin ginga

Do not judge the knife on the thickness at the handle. That number tapers usually very fast. The knife has spine thickness of 1.6mm half way towards the tip - definitely not thick. And just to mention - it seems to be on sale right now what makes it look even better. This 'gritty' kurouchi finish on some of the Itinomonns is really lovely - I have seen it live on 210 gyuto. A treat if you like kurouchi.

I guess that brings up bad memories for some people. Sorry

Back