Any Japanese speakers willing to help?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leiatlarge

Reaction score
I recently place an order with Masamoto Tsukiji for 4 knives through a friend in Tokyo. I ordered the following:
- V1 Gyuto 240mm
- V1 Sujihiki 270mm
- V1 Petty 150mm
- Hoyaki White Yanagiba 300mm

The knives arrived today and I found the back of the three V1 knives has the "V" stamp, instead of the typical "A" stamp since that's on my V1 steel Masamoto Tsukiji gyuto from 2 year ago. Based on my research and an earlier forum post, I thought "V" knives were exclusively SK3... I wrote Masamoto an email asking why my V1 steel knives have the "V" symbol instead of the "A" and if it's possible they may have gotten my order mixed up. Their reply was:

We do ship V steel knives to you.

Stamp at back side of knives are V now.

Thank you.

I thought this was strange but looking at their website, it doesn't look like they even make an SK3 version of the petty knife, so maybe they did roll over all V1 knives to the "V" stamp? Either way, I'm a little worried but not really sure where to go from here.

Does anyone on the forum speak Japanese and give those guys a call to ask what the deal is with their V1 / SK3 knives? Maybe just ask if they're still selling the SK3 knives and if those also have the "V" stamp? I'm just worried they wrote back a short email to shut me up instead of addressing a real problem with their order fulfillment.

Thanks ahead of time! Their contact information is here: http://www.tukijimasamoto.co.jp/shop/guide.php

I recently place an order with Masamoto Tsukiji for 4 knives through a friend in Tokyo. I ordered the following:
- V1 Gyuto 240mm
- V1 Sujihiki 270mm
- V1 Petty 150mm
- Hoyaki White Yanagiba 300mm

The knives arrived today and I found the back of the three V1 knives has the "V" stamp, instead of the typical "A" stamp since that's on my V1 steel Masamoto Tsukiji gyuto from 2 year ago. Based on my research and an earlier forum post, I thought "V" knives were exclusively SK3... I wrote Masamoto an email asking why my V1 steel knives have the "V" symbol instead of the "A" and if it's possible they may have gotten my order mixed up. Their reply was:

I thought this was strange but looking at their website, it doesn't look like they even make an SK3 version of the petty knife, so maybe they did roll over all V1 knives to the "V" stamp? Either way, I'm a little worried but not really sure where to go from here.

Does anyone on the forum speak Japanese and give those guys a call to ask what the deal is with their V1 / SK3 knives? Maybe just ask if they're still selling the SK3 knives and if those also have the "V" stamp? I'm just worried they wrote back a short email to shut me up instead of addressing a real problem with their order fulfillment.

Thanks ahead of time! Their contact information is here: http://www.tukijimasamoto.co.jp/shop/guide.php

Theen who run the Tsukiji Masamoto main store have working command of English. They get many English speaking customers there and I've never seen them have any serious communication issues with English only speakers.

Thanks Michael. I call their main line number and was greeted nicely in Japanese. I asked in broken Japanese if anyone spoke English but the guy on the phone said no and then hung up. They're a pretty reputable company and I doubt they'd intentionally lied to me in email or try to pull a switch-a-roo. Was hoping someone could just verify to put my mind at ease.

Whats the color of the handle? My V1 Gyuto has a black handle, the SK3 ones had brown as far as I remember....

The handle on the Sujihiki and Petty are black. I followed my previous email asking if V1 is now stamped with V, what about the SK3 knives.

Just got the following email back from them:

SKも御座います。
SKはAとなります。
V1も以前はAです。

Does this mean they've switched the monikers for SK (now A, previously V) and V1 (now V, previously A) knives?

Can you post pictures of the V1 gyuto especially of the grind? Just curious if your is thinner than mine was befire thinning....

Just me or does that factory (?) secondary bevel look terribly uneven and rushed? Not to undermine your sales though, cause it can be easily fixed.

Rough translation:
SK is also [the case] (not sure of the context)
SK has become A
V1 also used to be A

Just me or does that factory (?) secondary bevel look terribly uneven and rushed?

Can't fault the factory for that one, that was entirely my doing. Still learning the ropes. Any suggestions on the best way to even it out?

For comparison, I've uploaded the 240mm V1 I just received, still with the factory edge: http://imgur.com/4loSGbT.

Thanks for the feedback and translation!

Can't fault the factory for that one, that was entirely my doing. Still learning the ropes. Any suggestions on the best way to even it out?

For comparison, I've uploaded the 240mm V1 I just received, still with the factory edge: http://imgur.com/4loSGbT.

Thanks for the feedback and translation!

Anytime :) There are much better resources you can find on this forum than I on knife sharpening, so I'll just say stay slow and don't lose your focus. That said, for someone new to this sharpening stuff you did a great job!

Back