Quantcast
Time has come
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time has come

Time has come

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/sh...hp?tid/893780/

Adam, Marko, Mario, Dave, Tom, C9,and anyone else who is getting into knife making, I propose that we have a competition.
    So time has come....
    A competition always need an ending. Im ready to see the winner

exciting....

Marko,Dave,and Adam are "Pros" I am just a novice with a homemade grinder,but I am always up for a challenge.

Nice!

I would like to see who got potensial to become great.
    I see Dave has started to take ordes
    I saw Adams name at CKTG
    I know Marko is soon ready to take orders.
    I know Spike got something going on...

Quote Originally Posted by RRLOVER View Post
    Marko,Dave,and Adam are "Pros" I am just a novice with a homemade grinder,but I am always up for a challenge.
    Don't belittle yourself, Mario -
    I know your work.

I don't think a competition like this makes sense anymore. Pass-arounds are probably more relevant. No two knives from different makers are ground the same, so on what criteria would be compared and evaluated? For example, to assess the performance, knvies have to have same geometry and same grind.
    M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I don't like to think of myself as competing with anyone. I compete with myself which in my mind is a tough enough critic to satisfy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    I don't like to think of myself as competing with anyone. I compete with myself which in my mind is a tough enough critic to satisfy.
    Me too, and I am not sure I will ever.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

It would be fun to watch, but I agree it's next to impossible to say which knife is "best", unless there's a clear cut winner.
    With the guys here, and the skill we've seen, it would be too tight to give a definitive "#1".
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

x2 on pass-arounds probably being better development and sales tools for the new makers.

I don't think it would be all that hard to find a winner or a couple of winners. I think the problem is there is no advantage to participating in such a contest unless you are the winner. Everyone else would risk losing business. It would be interesting to see how many custom sales are made to relative noobs that happen to have money, find a picture of a cool-looking custom, do a quick search on the maker and buy based on that alone. If the search turned up something less than first place, how many of those sales would likely go to the winner (assuming the style points work out)? There's too much risk unless it's just a hobby project.