Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Time has come

I like competition, it keeps the makers on the edge
    I also like winners, I have to admit that I like high end makers and I like goodlooking knives. I also like preformance and quality. But I like a history of the knife and maker as well.

When I get my Pierre or my Burke (my first full custom knives) I can tell a story. I can tell cool stories about the making and the makers. Since I spend a lot of time around the kitchen table with friends I love telling cool stories. We like to discuss the food, the wine, the taste, the making of the food. Lots of my friend are now starting to ask for knives. One even both 2 knives from Pierre, without knowing **** about knives - he just wanted great knives.

I would like to see a winner. And I like to nominate Theory, JohnnyChance and Colin as judges. 240 Guytos.
    Im willing to send in my Burke and Pierre in the contest. I want to see Devin, fowler and all the other also enter the competition.
    Someone can contact Blade Magazine about it as well - I guess they would be interested.

And, of course, by pursuing such a course, you could conceivably reduce knife making to the same level that popular television has tried to make cooking. A sport.

I would like to point out for you that Gordon Ramsay, Nigella Lawson and Jamie Oliver have done far more to the world of food than Charles Tjessem, Rasmus Kofo and Fabrice Desvignes....

You may see it as a sport, I see it as marketing and branding. World depends on marketing and branding. And wouldnt it be great to have more makers compete about beeing the best? This way they earn more and we get better knives. If thats a sport, its ok for me...

Quote Originally Posted by oivind_dahle View Post
    I

World depends on marketing and branding.
    This is a good thing?

Absolutely!

World depends on selling and buying, without this the world would stop. And that would be catastrophic!

Can we make them use a secret ingredient? And have Simon Cowell in the jury?

Absolutely!

World depends on selling and buying, without this the world would stop. And that would be catastrophic!
    No. I do not agree with you. Ramsey is a mean-spirited clown. Oliver is just a clown. What passes for culture in television America, and apparently elsewhere, is crass and stupid.
    I would be surprised if any of the knife makers you say you admire buy into this crap.

Gordon Ramsay, Nigella Lawson and Jamie Oliver
    I take it your in sales or marketing, what about Pepen, or Child's they put it out there a long time ago, some got it some didn't, but it seems now it's theatrics' first rating's content later.

Now it's Gorden F-Bomb Ramsey, Nigella chocolate, and Jamie come on.

I think we need to put this issue to rest. There are no people interested in participating, including myself. It was a good idea at the time, but it no longer relevant for many reasons pointed in this thread.
    Thanks Oivind for trying to keep us on the edge.
    As for all those celebrity chef names mentioned, I don't know what most of them look like, or haven't heard names before, if that tells you anything. They would be likely using knives from the likes of Wusthof or Shun anyway, as that's where they get their endorsements. But I do like the "mean-spirited clown" description. I had displeasure to know people like that, so I can relate.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Still Plays With Blocks
    Home Furnishings Capital of the World, High Point, NC
    As an amateur knife user, I would like to add my 2 cents worth.

This forum is a very friendly place. I fear that a competition might get a nose or two out of joint and cause the friendly atmosphere to become clouded. The last thing I want to see is any sort of a melt down or find friend facing friend in a pointless showdown.

Do the pass around thing and instead. Much less likely to offend.