Moving to Chicago! Information appreciated

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbott

Reaction score
Hey folks. My lady and I are moving out to Chicago in mid-February. We are two twenty-something Californians who have spent the last few years living in Truckee (Lake Tahoe), where we've spent most of our time enjoying gravity-fed outdoor activities and mountain town lifestyle in general. I'm curious if anybody out there has any advice for making such a move to a big city, and in particular, this big city. Any information would be appreciated, but I'm primarily curious about neighborhoods you'd suggest we look at (youngish, but not college-y, preferably with good bikeability/walkability/public transportation), tips for renting in general in the city, and what kinds of places/activities we should make sure we check out to get acquainted with the city. I'm a cook, and I'll be looking for a place to work, so suggestions on places you've enjoyed eating or working in the city would also be helpful. Any information would be good. Well, anything constructive anyways...don't want to ear any "don't go there!"s. Thanks in advance.

T

Why would you want to move from Heaven to Hell????? I guess you're replacing mountains with skyscrapers. Good luck. Oh, and be very careful driving across country this time of the year. Winter storms in the midwest can be mean, vicious and brutally cold.

I'm guessing you're no stranger to cold weather, but Chicago gets COLD!
I'm currently in the process of opening a restaurant in Chicago (with the group I work for) not too far from downtown. I know very little off the city, but I'm learning quickly. If you're interested in some finer details, feel free to shoot me a pm.

I moved to Chicago about 3 or 4 months ago. From NC originally but I've lived all across the country (including Southern Cali). Drop me a line via PM if you'd like to meet up once you're in town.

I like it. A lot. Especially as a cook because the job opportunities here are really, really good. That's the main reason I'm here but also for the whole big city experience.

I don't have a car and neither do most of the people I know. Those who do very rarely drive. There's a bus stop on practically every corner and most of the central neighborhoods (especially on the Northside) have close access to the L.

I live in Wicker Park/Bucktown which has a reputation for being hipster-ish but I like it. Good night life, dining options, it's safe, and I'm a short walk to the Blue Line. I like the Logan Square neighborhood a lot too. It also has a reputation for being hipster... which is funny because I am probably the furthest thing from being hip, but again, it's usually where I end up going out at night. Outside of living right next to Loyola (and maybe the University of Chicago, but I haven't made it down to Hyde Park yet), I think you would have a really hard time being overwhelmed by a college atmosphere in Chicago.

A big plus for me is that I find it very affordable. I'm not familiar with Truckee but compared to Southern California, I feel my money goes much further here. It's not the same as being down South but when stacked up against NYC, LA, or SF/Oakland - I think it's a huge positive.

It definitely does get cold - and this time of the year is the 'slow season' for restaurants - but the winter has been pretty nice so far this year. One of my roommates is from Cali as well and we both thought things were going to be much worse.

Best of luck

Bucktown, Logan Square, Wrigely, Lincoln Park, West Loop are all great places to live. If I could have done it all differently, I would have bought a place in the city, unfortunately for now I'm stuck in the boring burbs. Chicago's an amazing city, not so much for out doors activities, but the food, beer and night life are great. Also, there is an insane amount of hot women in the neighborhoods I mentioned above.

My favorite large city in the US.
New York with midwest sensibilities. And WAY cleaner.

I'm guessing you're no stranger to cold weather, but Chicago gets COLD!
I'm currently in the process of opening a restaurant in Chicago (with the group I work for) not too far from downtown. I know very little off the city, but I'm learning quickly. If you're interested in some finer details, feel free to shoot me a pm.

What group? whats your concept?

Also, there is an insane amount of hot women in the neighborhoods I mentioned above.

Well, I won't exactly go out of my way to let my girlfriend see this post. But I'm still chalking it up in the 'plus' column.

Back