You know your a knifenut when...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geo87

Banned
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been done before here. Either way here goes.

You know your a knifenut when your wife buys a turn of the century piano. You realise the piano is made of walnut and contemplate how many handles you could make before she noticed pieces missing.....

You are a knife nut if you are reading this. I don't see how normal people could be interested in such threads :)
So… how many handles do you think can be made out of piano?

Or when you calculate how many Shigs and stones you could have bought for the money spend on that piano... and that the piano maker might have some left over wood that could be used for scales...

Or spacers out of their keys ??

Now that is a lovely idea. I have actually inherited a piano I used to play as a kid/teenager. Not sure the family would approve though ... :D

But I am sure that one is a knife nut if he/she is willing to pay nearly 10 times as much for a custom knife handle as normal person would for the whole knife. I proudly classify :)

every time a see someone throws out old fence or basically any old timber, i always wonder the same thing...

when you open this website in the morning before you can quote, "do anything because you're not awake yet."

...you spend an hour trying to figure out the perfect way to encapsulate how much of a knifeknut you are just so you can reply to this thread.

.............when you go to a dinner party, you bring wine and your sharpening supplies to touch up the host's hacked up equipment. (i've done this)

...when you have a knife for potatoes, and a knife for carrots, and a knife for onions, and a knife for...

.............when you go to a dinner party, you bring wine and your sharpening supplies to touch up the host's hacked up equipment. (i've done this)

You brought wine!! I just show up with stones.

Mine is packing my traveling knife for a weekend away with friends. They looked at me weird.

My monetary units are measured in Shigs (or equivalent) rather than dollars.

Car registration is 1.5 Shigs. Do I really need a car? :wink:

... When You hear your two apprentices discussing the positives and negatives of different grinds, profiles and steel types and you realise you've taught them more about knives than actually cooking...

Oh I have had a few in the past with such threads and new ones.

Here are some of my favorites:

* When you have ordered a custom knife while intoxicated -- and it takes a call from a maker a few days later to jog the memory. Though this might just be a drinking problem instead.
* When you buy your wife jewelry before a new knife purchase just to soften the blow a bit.
* Worse yet, you go shoe shopping with your wife to make up for a knife purchase she just realized and is unhappy with.
* When people ask about the cost of a knife, you pretend the down payment is the 'real cost' just so it doesn't sound insane.
* When you buy knives simply because you want to give them away. Though this is the best part of being a knife knut really.
* When you truly come to terms that that Marko knife you think is just around the corner may not actually get to you for many years.
* You buy pretty blocks of wood, just because it has something to do with knives.
* You think about which knife you would take in a house fire or tornado scenario.

Ok, I have to cook some dinner now, but those are a few of mine.

k.

+1 on buying knives because you want to give them away in order to show your friends and family the wonderful world of sharp high quality knives.:doublethumbsup:

Your kitchen counter is littered with thin strips of paper.

* When you buy knives simply because you want to give them away. Though this is the best part of being a knife knut really.

and making new friends just because you need to find someone who you could eventually gift with a knife :)

when you start to actually get embarrassed going on trails because you have way better knives than everyone including the chef(s).
also,
when you see a clip from a cooking competition show on tv and say to your wife, 'they always all have such sh@tty knives!'

I can totally relate:

* "you have a half shaven left forearm" - I could not test the knife I was sharpening today on my left forearm - shaven clean already
* ".............when you go to a dinner party, you bring wine and your sharpening supplies to touch up the host's hacked up equipment. (i've done this) / You brought wine!! I just show up with stones". - I actually went back home to fetch them when I saw the situation...
* "Car registration is 1.5 Shigs." - you are still lucky!
* "When people ask about the cost of a knife, you pretend the down payment is the 'real cost' just so it doesn't sound insane." - how true!
* "When you buy knives simply because you want to give them away. Though this is the best part of being a knife knut really." - I did nto imagine this will happen with me so soon. I really need bigger knife block...

Not done that but its hilarious:
* "... When You hear your two apprentices discussing the positives and negatives of different grinds, profiles and steel types and you realise you've taught them more about knives than actually cooking..." - :):) LOL

Latest posts

Back