In market for a Gyuto, need good edge retention

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kumar

Reaction score
INDIA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Chef's Knife - Gyuto

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Japanese

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
210mm or 240mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
300-400$

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Slicing Veggies, Chopping Vegies, Slicing Meats and Poultry

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
None

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch Grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Rocking, Cutting, Slicing

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Lighter the better

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Able to use right out of the box

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
This is main thing I want, maximum edge retention.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Wood

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
No. Send to sharpening shop.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

THANKS!

Greetings!

If you aren't sick on a wa handle, I'd suggest a Gesshin Kagero.

No matter your choice until you learn to sharpen I'd be very careful about who I would send a nice J-blade. Most will perform best with waterstone sharpening.

Cheers

Yep - I would not get $400 knife as my first Japanese knife. The advice above is a sound one. Also check out Yoshikane SKD knives or Zakuri in super blue (more robust blade). But definitely reserve budget for a few stones and start to lear sharpening (carbon knives are nicer/easier to learn on though). If you are about to learn sharpening a smaller knife than 240mm gyuto may be easier for the first steps. It would be ideal if you could get your hands on some simpler/oder/used carbon blade (but not a necessity).

Tanaka R2 is really nice (had one in the past), but a very thin knife (laser) and may not be the best first knife.

Tanaka R2 is really nice (had one in the past), but a very thin knife (laser) and may not be the best first knife.

I must have done things wrong as it was my first gyuto lol...

I am also in the market for my first gyuto and am planning a trip to JKI next Monday.

Why might a very thin knife not be the best choice for my first gyuto?

Thanks!

(We now return to Kumar's thread already in progress.)

Tanaka R2
Akifusa SRS15 = Haruyuki SRS15 = Artisan SRS15
Kohetsu HAP40

Among others are known for good edge retention.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
No. Send to sharpening shop.

Are you really sure the 'pro's' there can do that properly to a Japanese knife?

Edge retention on the Yoshikane SKD is extremely good, it holds onto a toothy aggressive edge for what seems like forever.

But that knife and pretty much any of the knives mentioned here are just not suited to being sent away to a sharpening shop.

With great knives comes great responsibility - if you're going to spend some serious money on a knife, then you need to spend the time to learn to sharpen on waterstones.

If you're budget is $400, you could buy the Yoshi, or an Akifusa or many other great knives and still have enough money for a couple of stones.

Thanks, I will invest in some stones too. So keep the suggestions coming.

Yep - I would not get $400 knife as my first Japanese knife. The advice above is a sound one. Also check out Yoshikane SKD knives or Zakuri in super blue (more robust blade). But definitely reserve budget for a few stones and start to lear sharpening (carbon knives are nicer/easier to learn on though). If you are about to learn sharpening a smaller knife than 240mm gyuto may be easier for the first steps. It would be ideal if you could get your hands on some simpler/oder/used carbon blade (but not a necessity).

Is this the Zakuri - http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...akuri/zakuri-270mm-blue-1-kurouchi-gyuto.html

?

Thanks

If edge retention is primordial, Takeda could be a good option. Mine takes months on my home use routine to loose its edge.
More important than edge retention is to learn how to sharpen your knives, though.
Another option is Watanabe. Its pro line is more of a workhorse knife, not very thin, but very nice in my opinion. I like its edge retention also. The 210mm gyuto is an onion killer! http://www.kitchen-knife.jp/
Good luck in your quest!

I'll give another vote for Kagero. How bout a Blazen pm as well? Theres also Takamura pm too I believe.

Thanks, I will invest in some stones too. So keep the suggestions coming.

Good move would not trust sharpening service + your knife will get trained to your sharpening style. Jon at Japanese Knife Imports sells the Kagaro SRS-15 steel excellent edge retention. He also has on line sharpening video's to get you on your way.

Are you really sure the 'pro's' there can do that properly to a Japanese knife?

I remember my Indian friend saying how the sparks are flying all around the numerous Indian sharpeners using the wheels. That's a big no no with the knife you want to get.

Correct, That is one in blue#1 steel. JKI also offer Zakuri knives in super-blue steel which will have somewhat better edge retention. I have not used Zakuri knives, but the edge retention of my Masakage Koishi (also super blue) is really good.

But I would also join the camp that recommends you PM steels (PM stands for "powder metallurgy") as they will probably have even better edge retention. Just call Jon and ask.

When it comes to sharpening Japanese knives the only difference between you doing it and most professional sharpeners doing it is that You know that you don't know what you're doing. Most pro's will give it the same grind and go that works for them on the 100+ knives they do every day. Suggest you get a rock and a knife and start learning. If nothing else it's a fun ride.

I remember my Indian friend saying how the sparks are flying all around the numerous Indian sharpeners using the wheels. That's a big no no with the knife you want to get.

This is the thing that comes into mind when I asked this. No one knows how to do it by hand anymore, the sacred art is lost, the "pros" I mean.

One of the nice things about being a home cook is that most Japanese knives will hold their edge for a long time. Much longer then their western counter parts.

The advantage of using a vendor from the forum is that they know what people on the forums want. They take that information and work with the vendors to develop knives, for knife enthusiasts or nuts. Vendors have the experience that can help a customer make a good decision with their purchase.

I don't know what shipping charges or import fee their are to India. If they are high you might want to look at Japanese Chef Knife. Not a forum vendor, but a trusted one. He subsidizes the cost of shipping and knows how to get knives through customs with minimal charges.

To echo what others have said, learning how to sharpen is the most important knife skill.

Good luck with your purchase.

Jay

Stay away from stainless, and you'll be okay. High-carbon steel should generally retain the edge for a long time, if it's sharpened correctly.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Bobby

Last edited by a moderator:
Stay away from stainless, and you'll be okay. High-carbon steel should generally retain the edge for a long time, if it's sharpened correctly.

Bobby

Sorry, but that is utter nonsense.

Sorry, but that is utter nonsense.

I was trying to think of a way to say that tactfully.... Maybe clarity is the better choice.

I like stainless for people buying their first "good" knife and I've found that most of the time stainless clad works for me.

I was trying to think of a way to say that tactfully.... Maybe clarity is the better choice.

I like stainless for people buying their first "good" knife and I've found that most of the time stainless clad works for me.

I completely agree with this! It's kind of hard to ask newbie to take all that normal care or the knife (treating it properly, not cutting on hard surfaces, avoid bones, avoid twisting edge/scraping with edge...) + take care of the rust issue.

This was the reason why my first purchase ( and a few next ones) were (semi) stainless steel Japanse knives.

On the other hand now that I jumped in carbon, it's not that much different except constant wiping of the knife.

Apologies, maybe that was a little acerbic. Didn't want the OP to be mislead though.

It's not true that stainless steel doesn't keep its edge as long? It seemed that was a priority for the OP, since you know, it's in the title.

That may have been the case a few decades ago, but stainless steels have taken huge strides forward.

It's not true that stainless steel doesn't keep its edge as long? It seemed that was a priority for the OP, since you know, it's in the title.

Heat treatment is definitely a thing. I'd take maxed out AEB-L at 61HRC over an old carbon Sabatier any day!

Further, one area of distinction is ease of sharpening. *Traditionally,* carbon steel blades are easier to sharpen. There are exceptions, of course. :D

Heat treatment is definitely a thing. I'd take maxed out AEB-L at 61HRC over an old carbon Sabatier any day!

Further, one area of distinction is ease of sharpening. *Traditionally,* carbon steel blades are easier to sharpen. There are exceptions, of course. :D

Speak for yourself, but I'd take the old carbon sab any day--and some days I do just that.:) It's just a personal preference--I'm not a fan of AEB-l or any other stainless. In fact as I recall, AEB-l is not that great a steel (on Gator's site it's not a standout steel) unless it's done by someone that happens to do it especially well (DT, Marko, etc). My preference on the stainless side if you have to go there is a pm steel which will outperform any of the 'super' stainless. SRS-15 in the Kagero or Akifusa will hold an edge forever even with serious (citrus) abuse.

Bobby

My Tanaka R2 Pm gyutos at 64 HRC disagree with you.

Back