Interesting buy over at JCK

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbochef422

Reaction score
i just bought a Hiromoto 240 white #2 honyaki gyuto with rosewood handle for $310. Not sure how it's gonna be but worth checking out. The regular honyaki they have over there is like $500 and then this is a special priced one, looks that the econo version. Figured some else would buy one too. I'll let you know how it is when I get it

Looks like how me run of them only difference I can see is the internal bolster on the original

Very Nice! Tempting wish I could afford it right now but I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it though!

I snagged a Takeshi Saji Aogami Super Black Forged Blade 130mm petty with the Linen Micarta Handle.I have been using this sweet little petty for a few days now and I am quite pleased.If you like Western handles and can afford the dough I suggest you take a peek at the new arrivals.Arrived at my door in the US in about 3 days from the time I placed the order.I had thought that Futoshi Nagao had retired last year so the release of the Honyaki live came as a surprise to me. I am guessing that he is semi-retired??????

I'm really interested in knowing his these perform.

Arrived today, this knife is surprisingly thin*. A Hiromoto AS, it ain't. I like the bolsterless western handle, fit on finish is okay on mine although I will most likely round the corners at the front.

Looking forward to taking the lacquer off it and getting a patina going. It's far too shiny (no effort has been made to polish the blade so the hamon has "pop", but it's there. This doesn't bother me).

*(Koki said there was some batch variation, so i asked for the thinnest he had. I'd go as far as to class it as a laser, with a far nicer distal taper than i was expecting. The tip is very delicate)

Cellphone only, sorry.

hiro%202.jpg

I'm not one to gush about "cutting performance" as this is highly subjective and technique-dependent. Can you efficiently process food with this knife?: yes.

Having had the opportunity to go at some stuff with this knife, performance-wise it's most similar to a Sakai laser, although with perhaps less pronounced asymmetry and a much better distal taper (my reference: Yusuke). If you like that class of knife, you may enjoy this one. Add the bolsterless (but substantial) handle and it's very light for a western 240mm. Users looking for a heavier gyuto with excellent food release need not apply*

The grind on mine is very even, and, as mentioned in a previous post, thin. Not expecting any miracles regarding edge retention (shirogami #2) but this isn't a concern to me. I will post an update in a few months.

* all opinions with the usual caveat that all knives, even from the same maker have subtle variations which makes each one somewhat unique.

I also have one on the way from Japan. It is a tough wait now ;) Koki told me he has about 10 gyuto's left.

TTB, thanks a lot for the information (I could not reply to your pb as your inbox is full), much appreciated!

I also have one on the way from Japan. It is a tough wait now ;) Koki told me he has about 10 gyuto's left.

TTB, thanks a lot for the information (I could not reply to your pb as your inbox is full), much appreciated!

Just some quick shots, in case anybody is interested. (sorry for the (lack of) quality - was in a hurry).

(on the right ;))

I bought the Hiromoto Honyaki with metal Bolster 24cm.
Mine is exactly 24 cm, from hell to tip.
As far as I can tell from your photos, mine has a better distal taper, thinner, also thinner choil, of course better handle,
but it didnt have any lacquer, I love that smell.
Also, shorter hamon line, if I can see the photo correct.

I am very happy with it, I loooove it ;-)

Sometimes, I have a feeling that it is alive and it is watching me

I bought the Hiromoto Honyaki with metal Bolster 24cm.
Mine is exactly 24 cm, from hell to tip.
As far as I can tell from your photos, mine has a better distal taper, thinner, also thinner choil, of course better handle,
but it didnt have any lacquer, I love that smell.
Also, shorter hamon line, if I can see the photo correct.

I am very happy with it, I loooove it ;-)

That begs for pictures :D
The distal taper is actually pretty impressive, I love it, it doesn't come out well on the picture. It looks a bit thick on the choil shot (surprised me too), but it cuts very nice. The hamon is pretty faint, hard to see. I am considering to once polish the blade and etch it to see the hamon a bit better. Personally, I really like the rosewood handle (though F&F could have been better).

I see you are enjoying it well!

Photos I can do only with iphone 5s, unless I have to borrow a good camera, but I am a little too busy, and little to lazy to do it.

I am not sure that the distal taper is better from yours, just the impression I get looking at your photos, and mine live.

I can put photos, latest on Sunday, it is night now, and at low light, phones' photos are not good.

According to my personal taste, keep it clean and shinny ;-)

Back