Sous Vide Eggs sticking to shells

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dimag333

Reaction score
So I mastered the shells not sticking to hard boiled eggs thing in the traditional way of making them.
I heated the egg up with the water and when it gets to a boil I cut the burner, cover and leave for about ten minutes, pull em and let them gradually cool down out of the fridge, never had an issue but the eggs do end up a bit over cooked (well I used to think they were fine until I sous vide eggs)

My issue is now, I get the eggs cooked perfect, I think 145 for about an hour??? I would have to re look it up, anyways I like them what people would considered well done as we use them for egg salad most times. They come out awesome, all most whipped cream light, my issue is the shells take half the whites when peeling them. I have used the method I read on another blog to drop them in the water at temperature and then pull and put in a bath of ice, which is totally different than how I do it traditionally.

How do you guys get away with perfectly peeled sous vide hard boiled eggs?

Not sure about SV, but if you poke a hole in the rear end with a thumbtack before submersion it seems to give better release.

If your eggs are very fresh they are much harder to peel,Harold McGee wrote a good article about it in Lucky Peach a while back.We have chickens and so our eggs are always fresh and peeling is nearly always a nightmare until i read about pressure cooking them.3 minutes on high in mine then into cold water and they peel perfectly every time.

I would guess baking soda with the sous vide is a bad idea

I generally just dump my cold eggs into boiling water for 6.5 min and move them over to some cold water. Not too many problems with sticking. I wonder if boiling the eggs for 2-3 min to set the outer white and then sous viding @ 145 would help with the sticking.

thats what I am thinking a quick blast to set the outside of the white

I cook mine at 64 C but thats a runny center. As for boiled eggs, I would go boil them for 8 min in rolling boil then shock in cool water( not iced) . You gotta make sure you peel them almost immediately so that the whites don't have a chance to settle in and set to the shell

There are some things SV arent made for like green leafy vegetables and hard-boiled eggs. Why use SV for a much longer time when one can simply boil it for a few minutes, shock in ice water and peel with ease? The key is not to let the eggs (not ultra fresh ones) sit too long before peeling.

I cook mine at 75c/167f for 13 minutes, it's a little more picky about time but when it's the morning I want it done faster, not more consistently. To solve the shell sticking problem, I use an egg topper. They're apparently common in Europe, but you can get them on amazon for pretty cheap. It's kind of a hat with a long pole and metal ball attached to it, you drop the ball on the hat and it cracks the shell where the hat touches. Then you can just pour the egg out through the hole without worrying about stickage. Hard to describe, so just look at one on amazon.

Back