Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eggs sticking to shells

Eggs sticking to shells

So I mastered the shells not sticking to hard boiled eggs thing in the traditional way of making them.
    I heated the egg up with the water and when it gets to a boil I cut the burner, cover and leave for about ten minutes, pull em and let them gradually cool down out of the fridge, never had an issue but the eggs do end up a bit over cooked (well I used to think they were fine until I sous vide eggs)

My issue is now, I get the eggs cooked perfect, I think 145 for about an hour??? I would have to re look it up, anyways I like them what people would considered well done as we use them for egg salad most times. They come out awesome, all most whipped cream light, my issue is the shells take half the whites when peeling them. I have used the method I read on another blog to drop them in the water at temperature and then pull and put in a bath of ice, which is totally different than how I do it traditionally.

How do you guys get away with perfectly peeled sous vide hard boiled eggs?

Steam them & shock in ice water
    12-20 minutes depending on how you like them
    Huw

Make simplicity seem like abundance - Tetsuya Wakuda

Not sure about SV, but if you poke a hole in the rear end with a thumbtack before submersion it seems to give better release.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

If your eggs are very fresh they are much harder to peel,Harold McGee wrote a good article about it in Lucky Peach a while back.We have chickens and so our eggs are always fresh and peeling is nearly always a nightmare until i read about pressure cooking them.3 minutes on high in mine then into cold water and they peel perfectly every time.

+1 on the older eggs. Also, try adding a healthy dose of baking soda to your boiling water. Works great.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

I would guess baking soda with the sous vide is a bad idea

I generally just dump my cold eggs into boiling water for 6.5 min and move them over to some cold water. Not too many problems with sticking. I wonder if boiling the eggs for 2-3 min to set the outer white and then sous viding @ 145 would help with the sticking.

thats what I am thinking a quick blast to set the outside of the white

Shockl in ice water + vinegar. It makes the egg easier to pell.

Herve This wrote about this problem. I ll try to make a Screenshot of this chapter.