best thermometers for liquid

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinacats

Reaction score
I've been on the Thermoworks site (open box sale going on currently) looking for a thermometer for liquids and don't see that they carry anything. What type of thermometer (calibrated) would ordinarily be used for this in a restaurant--is it a candy thermometer? Again, it would need to be calibrated and would prefer digital.

Thanks

Jim, Do you want to continuously monitor or periodically sample the liquid? I've got a couple "K" connector thermometers and several probes from thermoworks and others. It appears to be a standardized configuration with a lot of different probes available.

I've got the base unit, I just need the correct probe for liquids. I'm looking to continuously monitor the temp. Talim, can you link the probe type used for liquids?

It looks to me like the next four down would also work. I've also used the handheld with the optional probe clip (PH001). I will say that requires more care because the weight of the handle makes it a bit top-heavy.

I have used my handheld when frying and candy making with no problems (home use). I choose the handheld because it is more versatile, but if I was to do it again and I had the budget I would of gotten just the standard 6 or 12 inch probe and the handheld.

Bill -

That's what I use now - a handheld. Much more accurate and faster response than an old fashioned bulb candy thermometer. But often when I'm re-heating after a batch, I overshoot because I'm cooking/prepping other things. I think an alarmed probe would be great in that situation.

Bill -

That's what I use now - a handheld. Much more accurate and faster response than an old fashioned bulb candy thermometer. But often when I'm re-heating after a batch, I overshoot because I'm cooking/prepping other things. I think an alarmed probe would be great in that situation.

I have had the same problem and now that you got me thinking about it maybe if you don't own the old one you can get the newer ChefAlarm: http://www.thermoworks.com/products/alarm/chefalarm.html#ProbeTab.

Or if you are feeling flush the Bluetooth model: http://www.thermoworks.com/products/logger/bluetherm_duo.html

Our family likes and has Windows phones so I will need to call them and ask them to work on that compatibility;).

Back