Tadafusa ajikiri any useful?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charon

Reaction score
I saw a tadafusa ajikiri 105 white 2 single bevel for around 25$ on rakuten.

Are they any good? Would it be a good knife to practice single bevel sharpening?

$25 letter opener! camping knife? obviously cutting up small fish, maybe a cornish hen processor!
In all seriousness I spent the better part of an hour trying to talk myself into and out of spending $200 on a Shig Ajikiri simply because Japan Woodworker had one for a lefty in stock. First World Knife Nerd Problems

Hehe. That's very true. I would have to ask a college for a favor, but it would make a nice rehandle project too

$25 letter opener! camping knife? obviously cutting up small fish, maybe a cornish hen processor!
In all seriousness I spent the better part of an hour trying to talk myself into and out of spending $200 on a Shig Ajikiri simply because Japan Woodworker had one for a lefty in stock. First World Knife Nerd Problems

The support group meets Thursday nights. I opened this thread because JWW has me looking for any excuse to pull the trigger on a Kitaeji Shig Aji. Maybe I'll start fishing for trout again just to match the catch to my knife!:dazed: Does anyone have a good almondine recipe? How is the aji at slivering raw almonds:idea2:

I have an Itomomin 120mm Ajikiri that I just adore. Don't use much of boning knives anymore and use the Aji for just about everything I used to use the boners for. Pismo slayer (silver, chains, etc.), minces shallots like no tomorrow, oh yea pretty good at small fish as well. :biggrin:

Small knives are awesome. I love a tiny petty for when the jobs does not require a chopping board but this Ajikiri looks fun...Depending on the tasks you want to carry out you may also be interested in small Kamagatas, Debas or Bunkas.

would a cheep (30$) kodeba be any good?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-Mikihisa-ko-deba-chef-knife-Houchou-Sashimi-31-/200544096101

like this one, that Len is selling? I'm curious because I would not spend too much on it.

I know moritaka is selling double bevel kodebas for 5000 yen ( ~42 $) so pretty close considering the price gap for blue vs white steel.
But I'm wondering how bad is the grind of a single bevel 25$ blade?

I haven't got enough experience with single bevel knives to properly comment on it, but you get what you pay for.
If I don't forget I'll post some snapshots of mine.
(bought it to practise sharpening. Gets a bit of use every now and then though)

That's very true you get what you pay for. My thought was to use it to learn single bevel sharpening.

Regarding quality I had a lot of issues with my Tanaka Deba. It had a very uneven ura, a bit o jigane rolled over and got forged in the tip.
That experience let me to believe budget single bevel knives need a lot of work.
Greg Gola did an amazing job fixing the deba. ( google "Tanaka deba modification").

I haven't got enough experience with single bevel knives to properly comment on it, but you get what you pay for.
If I don't forget I'll post some snapshots of mine.
(bought it to practise sharpening. Gets a bit of use every now and then though)

Ha, I've read about your deba, was a very educative read for me :D
To be honest, your Tanaka ('s ura) looked much better than my Mikihisa ;)

Oh cool. Thank you. That looks quite nice. I just hope to get some tools to rehandle it :D

It taught me quite a lot wrt sharpening. I also have the mini yanagiba.

(Especially the heel is not done well ;) )

Back