Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need a line knife

Funny you should mention Old Hickory. I like all kinds of kitchen cutlery and last month I picked up 3 NOS Old Hickorys.

Awesome guys, thanks for the help! And to tweyland, pretty much every station from GM to proteins so definitely in need of an all rounder. The 210 gesshin ginga sounds like a good option but I hadn't even considered yoshihiro... and god do I ever love SKD-11! Well now i'm down to two to decide between so thanks again for the help!

Why has no one mentioned the A-type?

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    There's a questionnaire that will help us figure out your needs, it might help to fill that out.

Depending on many things(especially your budget and target foods), you could get a Tojiro DP, a Murray Carter Funayuki, etc etc. The options are almost endless.
    +1 on the Carter Funayuki... very easy to sharpen, very good edge retention (if sharpened properly), carbon edge not very reactive.... overall very nice knife... 6.5 sun would be perfect...

210 petty/ suji, for sure.... semi stainless; Kono HD, maybe.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    210 petty/ suji, for sure.... semi stainless; Kono HD, maybe.
    Question:

Why would you get a suji/petty rather than a 210 gyuto? And what are it's advantages?

210 pettys are great and I find them way more versatile than a 210 gyuto. They are super thin so are good for delicate slicing tasks and are long enough to slice many different things. They are also small enough that they are as precise as a petty, but again are more versatile because they are bigger. I use mine just as much as my gyuto

I think as a prep knife, a gyuto is the way to go...240 or bigger, but as a line knife, you are usually working in a tight space, so size is usually crucial, and usually slicing is the the only action used during service; so as a dedicated "line knife", (slicing proteins, cheeses, veg, sandwiches, etc....) 210 suji just makes sense.

I think in another thread some of us may have convinced DT to make and dub a 210 suji as a dedicated "line knife"...could be cool...
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

I always thought that a 210 suji/petty would be the most used knife, and probably the case for a line knife. For me, if I am not using a guyto for a specific task of prepping, my 150 petty is the most used knife. I only wished it was longer. So i went out and got a Hiromoto G3 stainless suji. I would love to get the 210 HD or the others that were mentioned, but I wanted a western/yo handle.

Yo, what about an Aritsugu A 210mm suji then?