Quantcast
Looking for a small set of knives, an help much appreciated - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a small set of knives, an help much appreciated

Since you are not in the US, I would recommend going to www.japanesechefsknife.com (JCK) and take a look around at some products. Shipping is only $7 internationally and takes a few days to get their...EMS is a wonderful thing.

Brands to consider for your first real j-knife:
    -JCK CarboNext
    -Fujiwara FKM series
    -Hiromoto AS (or G3 series for full stain-resistant)

Or find something you like and then ask more questions about that particular line/product.

I have been using a 210mm gyuto for a long time, i just got my first 240mm a kono HD and man was i making my life harder on myself! A 240 is just a nimble and do much more so i agree with Oivind on that one!

Im not expert on knives by any means i normally turn to these guys for help and they have led me in all the right directions with purchases. But i also agree that "sets" just dont measure out as well as buying them individually. I would recommend a 240mm gyuto and a petty i like a 180 or 210 but it depends on what tasks you would be using it for. I have always just used cheap pairing knives for small tasks and they work just fine for the most part. But the fujiwara FKH is a great steal i was highly considering it a while back for a work knife cant beat the price and i have heard only good things about it.

Although i would definitely recommend getting a couple stones as well to start so you can maintain your edge on your knives, the videos on youtube by mark from cktg and jon by japanesekniveimports have really helped me with my sharpening. I only use a 1k and 6k, and it works pretty well, if i just touch it up every 4-5 days or so on the 6k i dont have to resharpen for almost a month.

I would not recommend a Hiro due to mediocre performance. I'm certain you will be happier with a TKC or CarboNEXT. I had one guy with a 240 Hiro come by about two months ago. He tried out my 210 CarboNEXT. I saw him again a few weeks later and guess what? That's right. He had a CarboNEXT. This knife is far superior in my opinion. It has better geometry, better fit and finish and it is semi-stainless so it resists water and acid damage far better than the Hiro.

I really like the CN. The Kagayaki line of knives, of which the CN is a part, have great fit and finish and exceptional value.
    The CN is certainly lighter than the Hiro but I have never had any performance issues with the Hiro AS and I would not rate it sub par on any level. I feel the Hiro takes a little better edge and retains it longer. They are in the same price range and you could not go wrong with either.

Thanks to everyone who replied. Really grateful to everyone who has given their opinion. I have a confession to make, I order the Hiromoto 2pc set before I left this morning from CKTG, and they are on their way as we speak. Very excited. They worked out a little more than I thought earlier, as I failed to take into account the fact that exchange rates are always less favourable than the absolute, though I am still rather happy. I hope they arrive soon.

As for the point about 240mm vs 210mm, I'm rather confident that the 210 will be sufficient. I really favour a smaller knife, and while a 240 isn't too large, I feel a 210 is a perfect size for me. I can always add to my collection later should I feel the need.

Also, I didn't order a whetstone, as I'm hoping the blade will retain it's edge for the near future. In the meantime, I will learn as much as I can about sharpening knives with a whetstone, and hopefully, when the knives need work, I will order a stone and feel confident in using it. I can feel an addiction coming on.

Thanks again to everyone, and hopefully I'll be able to share with you soon how much I enjoy my knives.

Have fun with them. If you decide to play with waterstones, this place ca get you started with a basic set: http://www.axminster.co.uk/waterstones-dept207976_pg1/

Stefan

Good luck!

Hope to hear from you when you get them

Heya, good to see someone else from the Uk here
    I'll be interested to hear how you like the hiros, when I've ordered from Mark it usually takes about 10 days to arrive and clear customs, (HMRC sometimes add import duty in which case you have to go pick them up from parcelforce and pay the charge).
    I'd definitely order some waterstones sooner rather than later, that way you'll have a chance to practice, there are quite a few sellers in the uk, let me know if you want links.

Hi all. Been using my knives for a week or so now, and I adore them.

When they first arrived I was absolutely amazed at how sharp they were; I had never used a knife as sharp. My colleague tried them, and a somewhat terrifying grin appeared on his face. A surefire sign of approval.

Anyway, the constant use has dulled the edge a little, so I figure I should get in about the waterstones. I was hoping for some hints as to what stones to get and where to buy them. Also, if it's not too much trouble, some links to tutorials? I've watched a few on youtube, and the techniques are similar, but perhaps there are one or two that everyone agrees upon.

Thanks again for your help everyone.

King stones are by no means top of the range, but they are pretty good and are very easy to get in the UK. I think this set looks reasonable though if you don't want a holder you could save a few quid. I say you should be looking at one 800-1000 grit stone and one finisher at 4000-6000. Did you have to pay much to clear your Hiros from customs? It is usually a PITA for me when I order from Japan or the States, but JCK is way better and you only pay $7 postage. Just something to think about in future, you could probably have got the Hiros cheaper there