Quantcast
Fingerstones - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fingerstones

Maxim san

Wonderful finish.

Though Iizuka san official says that it is by chance that you get "clouds" on his Kasumi knives I think lot is on your craft and the wonderful JNS you have.
    I see it is not only luck that you have "clouds" on all your Shigefusa Kasumi knives.

Quote Originally Posted by UglyJoe View Post
    That Shigi jigane is beautiful. Just beautiful. Great work, Maksim.
    Thats why i have so many of them

Thanks !!

It will continue....

Quote Originally Posted by maxim View Post
    If someone wonder, it is my girlfriends nail polish on back of the stone to stabelise it more.
    Have you tried a more dedicated nail hardener on your fingerstones?

I have had good results with this stuff: Nail Tek II: Intensive Therapy

You can buy it pretty cheaply on Amazon or Ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by rulesnut View Post
    Have you tried a more dedicated nail hardener on your fingerstones?

I have had good results with this stuff: Nail Tek II: Intensive Therapy

You can buy it pretty cheaply on Amazon or Ebay.
    did you find any advantage over nail polish?

This stuff is really, really, really hard and multiple layers meld together.

Sounds like shellack!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

No. This is Shellacque.

Typical Canuck!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Blahahaha

The Japanese sword polishers chisel off thin slices of these stones and attach them to a paper backing using a lacquer and resin mixture, let them dry for a week (traditional mixture) or 1-2 days (modern synthetic resin mixture) and then cut them up into little squares and dress them on another stone. They don't polish with "raw" stone. The hardest stones are used on softer blades and the softer stones on the harder blades. hadr and softer are a relative term when talking about nihnto because on a sword, unlike on a kitchen knife, the only softer low carbon steel exosed is along the spine. .You are also not going to get the full effect unless you go two steps further using a mixture of very fine magnetite powder, clove oil and one other ingredient that I can't recall as opposed to "mud" That what fully develops the hamon features. Some guys that I know rottenstone and other very fine abrasive powders (1500-2000 grit aluminum oxide, I think) to get a similar effect. There is a very good book called "The Art Of Japanese Sword Polishing" that gives a very good introdution to this particular form of tradtional japanese insanity. I bought it and it inpired me.............to try and learn how to do a more simple modern "hybrid" form of polishing that doesn't require purchasing stones that can cost thousands of dollars for the best examples and hundreds for more pedestrian sets..