Chosera 1k don't get dry

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erikgg

Reaction score
I recently bought a Chosera 1k stone. Used it for the first time a few days ago and it seems like about 1/3 of the stone is still wet after 4 days of air drying (the rest of the stone dried up within a few hours). I did not soak it, just splashed some water on the surface, lapped and sharpened. Is this common with choseras or is there somethin wrong with this one? Any recomendations?

Erik

Welcome Erik,

normaly it would dry within one hour or so. I leave mine outside the box overnight after use. Never had an issue with drying.

I also do not have any issue with drying it. It's not in 1h but it's dry over night for sure

It depends on humidity and temperature. Let it dry at its own pace, if you rush it you could damage the stone.

I soak my 1K on every use. For drying I wipe it with paper towel and stand it on it's edge. Normal dry time for me is about an hour then I flip it. I do get variable dry times but I don't think it has ever taken more than 4 hours to dry.

Dont soak it. you may wet it and wait a few minutes, but soaking a Chosera is a very bad idea and will eventually cause cracking.

I have been soaking the 1K 20 minutes for roughly 4 years with out any issues thus far, however I see most here are soaking more like 5 minutes which I will try. Mine simply will not perform well as a splash and go. The new 1k Chosera looks a bit different than mine. The box and product number are certainly different so I'm starting to wonder if there was a product change at some point.
Never an issue with drying but I expect that there are going to be a ton of variables there with use and humidity.

Stones will dry more thoroughly if stood on their side. I've had stones stay 1/2 wet for a very long time for whatever reason. Put what you think is a dry stone into a paper bag and see if it's really as dry as you think.

You can short-soak Choseras just don't leave them sitting all day in the water. Once I forgot the 400x in my bucket for about a week and I found it dissolving, about 1/4" all around the top and sides was gone. :shocked3:

BTW, Choseras have different part #'s for the different models - based, non-based, stone thickness (thin & thick versions), etc

I have one more advice on figuring out whether stone is dry or not. Put a dry one next to it - there will be noticeable (by hand) temperature difference between them. The stone that is still wet will be colder (I hope it is clear why :) ). I use this when drying my stones - one of them is S&G which dries within a day, the remaining two are soakers and need a few days. Since they are kept next to each other the temperature difference is a good guide.

One of the chefs we used to employ was obsessive about his knives (I think I might have caught the bug from him....) and he used to do a sharpen routine every week. Once he had rinsed the water stones to get rid of the slurry, he left them for a few hours in a very low commercial oven (around 50 degrees C at most I would guess). I have no idea whether that is a good idea or not so I am not making a recommendation just saying what he did to dry stones. Unfortunately I don't know what stones he was using.

Back