Desert Island Questionnaire

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would rather take 2 knives and no stone :) , but otherwise 1 heavy duty large-ish outdoor knife (something like bowie) and some oversized coarse stone.

I would certainly not take only a japanese kitchen knife to a deserted island ... though maybe a Kato would do :)

If it's my one and only knife for everything, yeah I'd take a sturdy outdoor knife :)

But if it's something specifically for cooking for the rest of my life, I'll take my DT ITK chuka. If I got stuck on that island before it gets back my hands, then I'll take a Hattori FH chuka. The fact that I'm stuck on an island, probably with salt "blowing in the wind" means I'm gonna go stainless. Then, for me, the single most multipurpose cooking knife is the chuka.

Stone? I'd go with my mega-aoto and sneak in my mini diamond plate thing to keep its surface nice and flat.

PM steel, probably a Gesshin Kagero--made extra tall:)

Would like to trade the stone for a rust eraser;)

You mean for real? Loveless 5 inch utility hunter, green canvas, stainless hilt and fittings.
And although it sounds heretical, maybe a simple Norton fine India stone.

Funny I hadn't realized that it would be interpreted so literally. I was less curious about what you'd all actually take on a desert island, just what one kitchen knife and one stone you would never leave behind.
Probably should have mentioned that!

Funny I hadn't realized that it would be interpreted so literally. I was less curious about what you'd all actually take on a desert island, just what one kitchen knife and one stone you would never leave behind.
Probably should have mentioned that!

You meant a deserted island, in the middle of a freshwater lake, with a local, self-service greengrocer and butcher, right? :)

This danish scouting knife (a classic I had as a kid) and probably a JNS or a Naniwa Pro 800

danish_scout_knife.jpg

I would take an axe and a concrete block

I'd take either my mystery carbon steel Leung Tim Choppers kau kong cleaver, or my 270mm HwaSeung Forge mystery carbon steel "sashimi knife." They are huge , indestructible general purpose knives:

oA2n5Ll.jpg

The stone would be my Chosera 400 for the same reasons :bliss:

Latest posts

Back