Quantcast
Help finding a thread - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help finding a thread

There was also this post Sanding Belts and I thought people loved those 3M Gator belts.

This reminds me that I need to buy my belts for my HF sander.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    There was also this post Sanding Belts and I thought people loved those 3M Gator belts.

This reminds me that I need to buy my belts for my HF sander.

k.
    Yeah, that's helpful! I checked at my HF and they have the sander. Seems like a reasonable price for what it does.

It did seem on the cheap side when I checked it out at HF, but I decided to get it anyhow as an intro sander, and the size was nice and small. Almost missed it in the store.

The only problem is the belts cost way more than the sander, so upgrading to a different size will cost more in belts than the sander.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

The platen (steel plate under the belt that is for grinding on) sucks on this thing, it's not going to be square to the belt from any angle. I suggest taking the time to remove it and fix what you can just in case you want to grind on it but even if you don't want to grind on it make sure it sits level with the belt path and not sticking up into the belt since this causes belt wear and pealing of leather belt seams. Also make sure to loosen the belt tensioner lock bolt to allow for the spring to do it's thing. A lot of new people starting on these things never loosen this bolt and struggle with not only tracking but breaking belts and belt installation/removal.

I found some pictures of my HF 1x30 showing my horizontal frame mod I did plus I added a hinge to the belt dust cover. I can't get over how clean it looks, you should see this thing today.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    The platen (steel plate under the belt that is for grinding on) sucks on this thing, it's not going to be square to the belt from any angle. I suggest taking the time to remove it and fix what you can just in case you want to grind on it but even if you don't want to grind on it make sure it sits level with the belt path and not sticking up into the belt since this causes belt wear and pealing of leather belt seams. Also make sure to loosen the belt tensioner lock bolt to allow for the spring to do it's thing. A lot of new people starting on these things never loosen this bolt and struggle with not only tracking but breaking belts and belt installation/removal.
    Thanks for the advice. That is helpful.

k.

You're welcome.

Oh and it also occurred to me to mention that if you want to mount it horizontally you use the base plate that it comes with by moving it to the rear of the unit. You will need to drill a few holes in the frame and also install some spacers to raise the body up high enough for the tracking control knob to be able to function. I've done this conversion for a few people int he past and it's pretty simple in comparison to that contraption I show above.

That is indeed spiffy! Love the handle on top. I wonder if anyones ever actually hooked up a dust collector to that porthole, lol.

I used my vacuum with it a few times but it didn't seem to do much of anything in the way of helping with the mess.

do you still use that truck Dave.
    and paper wheel in the photo ?
    A clever cook can make good meat of a whetstone.” Erasmus

+ Reply to Thread