Hello KKF and Thank You for your help

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 16756

Reaction score
I can't say I've been a particularly long time lurker, but I recently bought a new kitchen knife and my final selection was really spurred on by information I found on this forum.

Boring life story part you can skip:
Im still pretty inexperienced when it comes to kitchen knives. Back when I started college in 06 I did start collecting pocket knives (especially Benchmades and Striders) but never paid too much attention to kitchen knives. I came from a... well a home that never treated its knives particularly well. We had an old Sabatier which I still have and use occasionally, but everything else was pretty junky. Coincidentally, sometime after I got my first post college job my dad started looking for a good kitchen knife and that was my first exposure to these things. My dad ended up getting a Tojiro DP 210mm Western Gyuto, and after a few months of using that and sharpening it for him, I asked him for a knife as a birthday present. I searched and searched, and ultimately asked for either a Richmond Laser AEB-l 210 or a Konosuke HD 210. Unsurprisingly, perhaps, the latter was out of stock and my birthday was fast approaching, so the Laser is the one I got. Yes I've read around here, and no, I have no intention of changing anyone's mind. All I can say is I got 2 good years out of it by sticking with vegetables and deboned protein. I am hardly a professional chef; it suited my purposes.

But, the knife was simply too short both in length and in height, so I started my search for a 240. I will say that I really did, and still do, want a Konosuke Fujiyama Blue 2. But, where can I buy one? Not so easy, it seems. So the search for an alternative began. I searched and searched and searched and searched and ultimately found the knife you see below.

Anyhow, I dont know how much I'll post, afterall I dont buy a lot of kitchen knives so I have limited experience with them. But I do want to say thank you to this forum for all of the valuable information.

This is what I'm working with:
16453142735_a8aa032f8d_o.jpg

Oh and btw, the board is a boardsmith maple in the Carolina slab size, that was my birthday present last year from my Mom. I picked it out based on advice from this forum too.

Welcome aboard. You really thought things through . That Tanaka is a winner. What kind of cooking are you enjoying?

Welcome aboard. You really thought things through . That Tanaka is a winner. What kind of cooking are you enjoying?

Well it's just boring dinner prep for me. Usually some animal protein and a vegetable or two, occasionally I throw in a good biscuit or roll. A gyuto, a western chef's knife for cutting protein off bone and a bread knife are really all I use. My two latter knives are far older than I, so Ive really only bought one knife for myself, which is the R2 wa gyuto.

Needless to say, this knife is a bit beyond my experience level. But Im pretty snobby about stuff and besides, this knife spoke to me. Most knives I looked at were terribly boring to me.

Back