Bevel or radius edges of stones?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Wizard

GLGC Creator
Reaction score
I have frequently seen the advice to bevel the edges of sharpening stones. Is there a reason not to radius (round) the edges instead? This seems to be more than merely a case of loose terminology as I have seen videos where the beveling step is performed and it seems clear from the motions that a (relatively) flat bevel is being formed rather than a smooth radius.

What would the benefit be from rounding the edges? both ways would achieve relatively the same thing?

IMO, chamfering will simply move the edges inwards, the high spot of this edge remains in the way. Rounding the edges (if done correctly) removes the high spots and allows the knife's edge more contact with the stone's face. Since figuring this out many years ago my sharpening productivity soared.

I usually round the edges on naturals too. When you round or re-shape naturals it's a risk with many stones, as if you read things wrong you might get bits breaking off during the process when you would have been better off just lacquering as is at the beginning. However, I think rounded edges are a bit more pleasant, as said above regarding handling, and in the long run I think the stone's slightly more durable because rounded edges are less likely to break/crack/crumble if the edge catches on something or the stone knocks into something hard when compared to sharp edges. I also think you can still feel abrupt, non-rounded edges, and the knife can too.

IMO, chamfering will simply move the edges inwards, the high spot of this edge remains in the way. Rounding the edges (if done correctly) removes the high spots and allows the knife's edge more contact with the stone's face. Since figuring this out many years ago my sharpening productivity soared.

Since Dave shared this with me, it has been my standard practice and I have definitely seen an improvement in level of effort and quality of edges. I've discussed it on here in other threads, including pics:

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...out-flattening?p=337933&viewfull=1#post337933

Thanks for explaining this guys. Makes sense

Back