240 Suji

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RRLOVER

Reaction score
009-25.jpg

008-29.jpg

004-47.jpg

006-32.jpg

240mm Suji 52100(4.6mm stock) Marko HT & Temper

3.4mm over the heel
2.4mm middle
.69mm tip

The finish is not the best but it was hot as hell in my garage yesterday and I just wanted to knock it out.

009-25.jpg

008-29.jpg

004-47.jpg

006-32.jpg

240mm Suji 52100(4.6mm stock) Marko HT & Temper

3.4mm over the heel
2.4mm middle
.69mm tip

The finish is not the best but it was hot as hell in my garage yesterday and I just wanted to knock it out.

Wow, looks MUCH better than the blank I sent you - that sheet should be used for yanagi, miroshi or razor, not gyuto or suji. :)

BTW, the suji should be 62RC. You must have sweated a lot doing that hand finishing (there is a huge difference in finishing 60RC and 62RC, unless you can grind all the way to 600grit). Let me know what you think of the HT. I have improved a lot since.

M

That looks really good from here, Mario! Are you gonna do anything else to it before you put a handle on it? What's the thickness?

Originally Posted by RRLOVER
She's not thin.

... But nicely shaped.

Stefan

Oh! Knives... right! :D

Very very sleek looking blade. What are the differences in blade shape between the Suji and a Gyuto?

Height and profile (and often lengh). Both knives are used for different purposes, though some gyuto can double as slicers as well.

M

And some people like to use their suji's as primary all around prep knives in place of a traditional chefs knife.

Ah I get you, cheers. The Suji is narrower and has a more symetrical tip. They look nice. I wanna make one.

very cool progress! quick off topic question... See how there is a notch in the tang so that it is thinner where the metal will go into the handle? I am trying to rehandle a masamoto gyuto and it doesn't thin at all like that which makes it a little too thick and tall to get into the handle I made. Any bigger and the handle would have been too thick for me. How can I thin down the tang like that in your pics?

very cool progress! quick off topic question... See how there is a notch in the tang so that it is thinner where the metal will go into the handle? I am trying to rehandle a masamoto gyuto and it doesn't thin at all like that which makes it a little too thick and tall to get into the handle I made. Any bigger and the handle would have been too thick for me. How can I thin down the tang like that in your pics?
You need to discover the joys of hardened files guides.:biggrin:

The tang on your Masamoto is not hardened, so you can do it with files, but it will not be very fast.

I would think that something that thin would draw file rather easily and quickly. The problem might be figuring out a way to hold the blade.
The tang on your Masamoto is not hardened, so you can do it with files, but it will not be very fast.

Back