What would you choose

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazmtb

Banned
Reaction score
Hiromoto Gin 3 monosteel or Tojiro DP for 210 suji/petty.

One of my first Japanese knives was a Tojiro 270 suji. I still use it. I like the big blocky handle and the sturdy feel of it. I don't like the stubby tip. It also seems to come back with chips when it goes out with other people moreso than some other knives. I haven't tried the Hiro.

I don't think I have anything in the DP - cro moly type of steel, but The G3 has got to be the best bang for the buck going right now...I think they could raise the price by 50% and it would still be a 'fair' price.

love my Hiro G3 gyuto

I found it on Bluewayjapan on ebay just a few days ago, but it is no longer there. It is considered a carving knife, with a kind of a nenox/fh choi grind. I have experience with both steels, and although the DP cobalt steel is very good, I decided to go Hiro because of the G3 steel; basically the same as my nenox g type petty. Plus the fact that maybe, just maybe, the Hiro is a tad thinner because of the monosteel.

Back