Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strop or 8-12k stone?

Strop or 8-12k stone?

I'm wondering which would be better for a home cook? My knives see action maybe 10-12 times a week...nothing really too heavy most of the time, just some light chopping and slicing. I have a 1k/4k combination stone which has serviced me pretty well for the past two years, but I want my edges a bit more refined. Would a stropping set or a fine finishing stone (I was thinking about the kitayama) be more useful to me?

I'm gonna put my money on the strop. It will be interesting to hear what the pros say!

Dave's All U Need Strop Kit should be right up your alley. Sharpening up to 4k is all anyone really needs, even though I've got stones up to 15k. Stroping really does refine the edge and Dave boiled down all the various stroping combinations into a single kit. There's not much of a reason to reinvent the wheel unless you want to.

The strop would work fine but I find it is MUCH faster to put an 8k or so stone in there. My standard home sharpening job goes from 1k to 3-5k to 8k to strop. I spend 90% of my time on the 1k. If I'm sharpening for a pro, I spend maybe 80% of my time on a 400 or 500 stone and then go to a 1-5k and 8k and strop. If you are using a strop for refinement, it's like using an incredibly slow, soft stone. I like it more for clean-up duty (burrs, chips, realignment, etc.). I don't even really like a strop for "refreshing" an edge. I find the teeth it affords are short-lived. I love my Dave strop but I might die without my 8k SS, lol.

Strop! 100%

get both, and play around with it. I don't know how much time you have, but for what you do, you can do a lot of experimenting and get pretty good fast

This Site Not Allowed Here.com bovine leather pad loaded with HA boron carbide 1.0-micron paste.

Quote Originally Posted by goodchef1 View Post
    get both, and play around with it. I don't know how much time you have, but for what you do, you can do a lot of experimenting and get pretty good fast
    +1
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

YES!
    Bert M.

Why?! Because footballs don't have wheels!

If it's in your budget, I'd also recommend getting both.

You'd be able to get more refined, and most likely sharper edges, with the step up to the 8k+ stone, but I think you'll find that a strop will really help with deburring and getting your knives to "scary sharp" levels. At least that was my experience after getting a strop.