Montreal Smoked Meat, the journey!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PierreRodrigue

Reaction score
So for me having family from the Montreal area, I have always been fond of the stuff. I know that there are diw hard pastrami fans here, and wonder what the difference is. To be honest, there really isn't a ton of difference. MSM is less sweet, and may be traditionally prepared similarly to pastrami. But there is a difference! Maybe more or slightly different spices...
So here I am with a new appreciation of all meats smoked, and this had to be done. I have done a ton of internet research, phone calls, and recipe collecting, and have arrived at what I think is a solid MSM in the traditions of Pete's and Schwartz's.
So a couple weeks ago, I ordered and picked up a massive 17 pound brisket, and in my haste to get home, didn't open the butcher paper to look at it. When I had my daughter bring it in for me the next day to get it going, I opened it up, and immediately thought she had grabbed a pork belly by mistake. Man it was fatty!! and it was only the flat, no point! So discouraged, I cut it in half mixed up the spices and cure, and set it in the fridge to do its thing. Next day at work, I called up the butcher/abattoir, and mentioned I wasnt happy. Bring it back he said... I told him I had already cut it, and had half spiced. He said no worries, "If your not happy, I just lost a customer, likely more, as there will be no good word of mouth" So impressed, I returned it on a Friday, He told me that on the following Tuesday, they will be putting 4 fresh animals on the hook for processing, and would personally cut me a brisket.
Thursday I got the call it was ready for pickup. So after work I rushed back to town and picked it up. NICE!!

I got right down to grinding and blending spices for the dry cure.

Then coating and rubbing it into the brisket. Then wrapped, and into the refer for 10 to 14 days.
After the dry cure, the brisket was rinsed, and soaked for 3 hours, to reduce the surface salt, then dried, and prepped for the dry rub, for the smoking/cooking portion of the process.

I used a digital scale, and an old coffee grinder to help with the spice grinding. I find this more uniform than an electric grinder. Everything weighed for accuracy.

So into the offset smoker, with a little help from an AMNPS for the maple/apple smoke.

After a 6 hour smoke, I had to bring it in to finish it in the oven, -37C with wind and blowing snow, it was tough to hold temps. It was then foiled, and plastic wrapped for two days.

Had to sneak a taste!!

After a two day rest in the fridge, It got a three hour tented steam at 210F in the oven, then sliced and served.

This is my second sandwich, sorry its a tad messy! That didnt affect the taste though!! ;)

I served it with coleslaw, beer battered sweet onion rings, and double fried fries... I need maternity pants!! Man I over ate!

Oh yeah that looks awesome.

I ate at schwartz's just last month, was pretty awesome.

I don't know how you made it through the 2+ weeks of waiting. Results look amazing!

Just out of curiosity, any idea how much weight did the meat lost from the original raw form to finished product?

Home Run Pierre! You have a pastrami guy ready to try this now.

As far as weight loss, I didn't do an "after" weight, but there was about a cup of fluid in the storage bag. It was noticeably stiffer and firmer though. It really came around after the three hour steam.

Any one looking for the process/recipe, just ask. :)

Ahhhh Montreal Smoked meat. That brings back some fond memories. Looks great Pierre.

Back