Android Steel Chart 2.1 published

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gator

Reaction score
Hi All,

Version 2.1 went online tonight. This time, it is a standard android app update. No hassles :)
Please let me know if you encounter any issues with update, or after updating.
What's new:

Fixed bug when the last synchronization date wasn't saved correctly.
Fixed bug with lingering toolbar after invoking filter dialog with active selection.
Fixed incorrect last synchronization date calculation after previous attempt failure.
Displays correct message when zknives.com lookup fails due to unstable or invalid internet connection.
Set default synchronization frequency to 1 week.
Latest db snapshot as of 07/26/11.

How to find the app on the market(if you don't have it):
1) Search for "knife steel chart"
2) search "pub:zviSoft"
3) If you have barcode reader in your phone then use this QR code:
androstlcht.png

P.S. - Not really related, but the web version of the chart now sports google +1 button. If you find the chart useful, please gimme a bump :) Next time you visit the online knife steel chart, click the+1 button.

Interesting, my barcode reader picks it up and populates with the correct id, but says item not found when I try to get it. I can't seem to find it in the market either using your keyword search. Anyone else having problems? Or is it just my phone?

awesome work Gator, thanks for the android chart. I noticed that Uddeholm AEB-L is referenced to 440B alot, but do not see it on your chart, is it anywhere else? And is there any Japanese steels competing with CPM SV's and M4's? I didn't get to go over your whole chart yet.

Rockin HTC Sensation android/ xda alienware

Great work Gator.

I'm on your site almost every day. Can't get enough of my steel :).

+1 from me.

Interesting, my barcode reader picks it up and populates with the correct id, but says item not found when I try to get it. I can't seem to find it in the market either using your keyword search. Anyone else having problems? Or is it just my phone?

I think he mentioned it having some bugs on certain phones, but I can't remember which. Well here is the link anyway, hope it works. :)

https://market.android.com/search?q=pub:zviSoft"&so=1&c=apps

Kalaeb, I suspect it's your phone, I've tested on 3 different ones already. One problem I saw, on HTC droid incredible, using wireless connection it would for some reason pick up an old version, as soon as I switched ot 3g connection the problem went away. PM me if the pron is still there tomorrow.

Goodchef, never seen AEB-L listed as equivalent or similar with 440B, it's lower alloyed, cleaner, finer grained, etc... Although, I am no metallurgist, perhaps makers can answer that better.

P.S. The bug was n application V 1.0, on HTC inspires, but it wasn't being unable to find the app on market, app was crashing after installation.

Goodchef, never seen AEB-L listed as equivalent or similar with 440B, it's lower alloyed, cleaner, finer grained, etc... Although, I am no metallurgist, perhaps makers can answer that better.

I just came across it a few times doing research and here is one, I don't want to list the whole page so I will just snip a quote.

"AEBL seems to be about 440B. Extremely easy to grind, in fact, I think I may have set a world record with it a few years back, over a hundred blades from bar stock to 220 grit within eight hours. Heat treat like 440C. Edge holding is best when heat treating includes a freeze cycle. Very easy to polish and buff. Very nice choice for miniatures, kitchen knives, etc. AEBL has several quirky habits in grinding that make it difficult to use on thicker or larger knives. Makes nice kitchen knives. "Hoss" uses this in his beautiful stainless Damascus and reports that it holds up very well"

I don't use either and was not comparing qualities, just wanted to know what was in it :D

Boy do I love graphs, analysis, and numbers. should have been an engineer. Thanks Gator

Thanks! Lemme know how does it look on the tablet. ATM, I am considering to buy Galaxy 10.1 and develop tablet specific steel chart, those have a lot more screen real estate and unlike web version, they don't have to deal with long response times when loading whole tables, so I have more room to improvise....

he he :) I think we gotta get you a tablet for your BD, may be you'll get into it ;) Not that you don't like hanging around the comp anyway.
Jon, whatever input I can get is good, according to android dev home, my app is good for 520 devices, and no way I am buying/seeing/testing on all of those...

so far so good on mine... i'll test on my phone later, but it looks nice on the tablet. Maybe just one thing... too many steels :p

Thanks for the input.
Just uploaded an update. There were 2 bugs reported today, fixed them both. Although, I commend someone's superhuman clicking abilities for bringing up the menu before the app's first view was created...

Very interesting post.
Thanks for sharing:hungry:

Knife Steel chart for android 2.2 went online few minutes ago.
Changes:

1) Fixed integrated search and suggestions. Knife steels are searchable from phone global search again. Make sure knife steel compositions is checked in Settings>Search>Searchable Items list.
2) Fixed back navigation problems in alloy detail views.
3) Fixed crashes in error reporting.
4) Latest database dump as of 2011-09-25

Hi All,

Uploaded new version today - 2.25, fixes navigation issues for some alloy links in the alloy notes section. As I was updating the application file, market console either crashed or did something funky. As a result, new verion is there, but upload date is old, from prev. version.
I am not sure if automatic update will work correctly. If you don't have notification to update the app, then simply delete existing app and download it again:

Thanks.
2.27 was uploaded on the market last week. Finally I was able to track down the installation issue on some HTC models, added workaround for that problem, although can't say I'm happy. The prob is somewhere deep inside HTC code, but workaround works for majority of HTCs.
If the database install fails, it still can be restored from the database menu.

I just want to add this was the first app I downloaded. It's great.

Knife Steel Chart 3.50 is available on the market now. Compared to last few updates this one required quite a bit more coding. Therefore, despite all my testing, chances of new bugs are higher. Please let me know if you catch any of them.

New feature "Listings" replaced old "Std" menu item. Now you can quickly switch alloy listings not only between standards but also Countries, Makers and technologies.
Also, makers are represented as a choice list, you won't have to type the name, much faster than typing, no potential typos too.
Added about dialog, accessible from the main menu, has a "rate this app" button which opens app page on the market, so you can show your support ;)

I loved the last version. But unfortunately it doesn't work from the sd card. Have to keep it on the sideline until I get a new phone.

This sounds even better.:thumbsup:

Thanks! I meant to add SD card feature forever... Never got to it. I suppose I'll do it for the next upgrade.

P.S. For the iphone crowd. 1.1. steel chart for iphone was submitted to Apple for their "review" process. They sure like to take time with the reviews. 1.0 was approved in 8 days, I guess 1.1. will have the same fate. I've removed 1.0 from the market back in Jan, and considering that I found a crash in 1.0, I do not want to put it on the market now. So, you'll have to wait few days more till "their holiness" approves it...

I did screw up after all. 3.50 has a crash for old Android versions, when you click the menu button. Fixed it already, 3.51 was tested on old androids as well.

Knife steel chart 3.60 is on the google play.
Added SD card support for Android 2.2 and higher. Application can be moved to SD card, however the data files must remain on the phone, which requires about 1mb space on the device. Use Android Settings/Applications menu to move app.

For the moment, moving all data to SD card would require dropping support for old android devices below 2.1, and since there are few hundred users using the app on those, I can't do that.

Based on your Android OS decision, app will be installed on the phone or SD card. After that you can move app between those two using Settings/Applications menu. Simply copying the app to SD card will result in a crash.

Let me know if you encounter any problems.

Happy to report, app passed 10K download count :)
And I'm proud that out of almost 100 ratings, all but one are 5 and 4 stars :D Thanks everyone for support, keep them coming.

Back