Circular stones?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian

Reaction score
I am still very much learning about sharpening, and have recently been offered a couple of circular naniwa stones from my father in law (who got them from a friend ages ago and has no use for them). They are presently in Germany but he has volunteered to bring them over on his next UK visit.

This is a picture from a commercial site: imgres.jpg which from his description, sounds similar.

The stones my father has are green and brown and both are mounted on wooden plinths. He does not know what grit they are (though they may well be marked - he knows nothing about stones). They are around 30cm diameter and appear to be unused or little used.

I have no idea what the pros and cons are of these. It seems to me it would be difficult to get a good stroke across the stone? Should they be soaked or not (they are loose on the bases, but a wooden base would suggest no soaking?).

By the way, I presently mainly use a set of Naniwa Pro (400, 2000, 5000 and 10,000 plus yesterday a snow white 8000 chosera arrived from Australia - I have been hunting for one for a while). These are just standard rectangular stones. I have a few other stones too, so it's not as if I actually need anymore!

If you could mount those on a rotating base and setup a water feed system, you'd have a kickass powered sharpening setup.

Latest posts

Back