Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast

Thread: Whats your most expensive hobby?

My most expensive hobby? Racing F1 cars. Oh wait, that's the Prince of Monaco. For me I guess it would be collecting vintage dental floss.

Woodworking - Machine tools include; 10" Powermatic table Saw, 8" Poitras Long Bed Jointer, 20" Powermatic Band Saw, Delta Shaper, Drill Press, and an Oneida Air Systems V-3000 Dust Control System (all in my former garage for the past 35 years). Hand tools are too numerous to list but, they have included from Japan Woodworker sets of Japanese chisels, hand planes, etc. Over the past 15 years my shop has been outfitted with Festool and Mafell Power Tools all connected to the Festool HEPA Dust Extractor. I still have about 2000 BF of hardwoods including exotics like Brazilian Rosewood.

Quote Originally Posted by jacko9 View Post
    Woodworking - Machine tools include; 10" Powermatic table Saw, 8" Poitras Long Bed Jointer, 20" Powermatic Band Saw, Delta Shaper, Drill Press, and an Oneida Air Systems V-3000 Dust Control System (all in my former garage for the past 35 years). Hand tools are too numerous to list but, they have included from Japan Woodworker sets of Japanese chisels, hand planes, etc. Over the past 15 years my shop has been outfitted with Festool and Mafell Power Tools all connected to the Festool HEPA Dust Extractor. I still have about 2000 BF of hardwoods including exotics like Brazilian Rosewood.
    Bet there's some nice handle material among your stash

Quote Originally Posted by jacko9 View Post
    Wow! We need some pictures!

I just keep piling the cash spent on knifemaking. I have just ordered a proper tool workshop tool trolley (OK, 'just' for 280€, but you get the idea) and I am building a work bench for the 2x72" grinder that only on materials cost 150€). And the list goes on

Does Staying Alive count? LOL 4 years down and un employable, no disability, 17 prescriptions, yada yada yada...

Photography is a close second and I would love to get on a bicycle again... but I physically can't deal with 2 wheels anymore I'm looking into an electric assist tricycle from Raleigh (http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/recr...les/tristar-ie) but without $$ it's been a long path. Getting the VA to fund it has been a job in futility, they don't say no, they just send you round and round till you quite asking.

As for Photography I have been funding it with my student aid checks... I am getting a degree in photography so I can't say I've been mis-spending my aid money But that will soon run out as I'm almost done with the degree and the available classes I can squeeze out of them. A benefit of my time in service, City College is basically paid for

Motorcycle track days.. one day out there costs me $500 total... One set of tires last me 2-3days (Almost $500) with all those aftermarket parts...if I crash, it will cost me at least 2-3 honyaki blades..I try not to go often, but really hard to resist when weather is perfect.

Motorcycles.

The wines I've got stored to drink with my daughters when they are of drinking age in 16 years time. Any other suggestions of interesting cellar worthy wines would be welcome

If you like ports, stanton and killeen vintage fortified are stunning and will cellar for 20+ years. Plus bottles are available from back vintages so you can get them to align with birth years.

If you like big strong reds (Aus style) Durifs from the same region, Rutherglen, are stunning. Personal favourite us Warrabilla and typically they have decent cellar potentional, as does their shiraz.