Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats your most expensive hobby?

Quote Originally Posted by malexthekid View Post
    If you like ports, stanton and killeen vintage fortified are stunning and will cellar for 20+ years. Plus bottles are available from back vintages so you can get them to align with birth years.

If you like big strong reds (Aus style) Durifs from the same region, Rutherglen, are stunning. Personal favourite us Warrabilla and typically they have decent cellar potentional, as does their shiraz.
    +1 on the S&K vintage port.

IMO, rutherhlen durifs are usually very fruit driven, with long, silken tannins and often cellar well for decades. The Morris durifs are exceptionally long lived despite definitely not being the most heavily fruit-laden or having the highest alcohol content (IMO, those accolades go to Warrabilla Perolas Reserve and Buller Calliope, both of which are also exceptional IMO, if almost too much in their youth). The S&K durif is also very handy.
    "My greatest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell my knives for what I told her they are worth"

Vintage port is nice but I'd take Madeira over it every time. Look into Broadbent Mamsey 10 year. Now that's a special sipper
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

@malexthekid @nemo

This was EXACTLY what I was looking for, particularly Aussie suggestions so you've knocked it out the park. Those durifs sound awesome as I've had and enjoyed the American incarnation of petite sirah.
    And I do like port and other stickies, so top suggestion

Mucho, I most certainly will, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Badgertooth View Post
    @malexthekid @nemo

This was EXACTLY what I was looking for, particularly Aussie suggestions so you've knocked it out the park. Those durifs sound awesome as I've had and enjoyed the American incarnation of petite sirah.
    And I do like port and other stickies, so top suggestion

Mucho, I most certainly will, thank you.
    If you like perite sirah, Bailey's of Glenrowan make a stunning one. The Durifs from Rutherglen range from similar at the lower alcohol content to just straight up delicioyy brutal at the warrabilla end. And I will second Nemo, if you go Warrabilla, they definitely need a couple of years.

As for stickies, heaps of options here, I imagine NZ must have some nice iced stickies.... As for fortified, my personal opinion is look for Rutherglen in Aus, stunning Muscats, Topaques and tawny's/vintage.

Let us know what you get.

My first kid is on the way, I already know I will get an extra half dozen of the S&K Vintage Port that year, and am starting to research on wines with long cellaring potential apart from the usual crazy expensive penfolds grange or henscke hill of grace.

Knives, sharpening stone, cook book and dining out for now. I used to buy clothes but not anymore, stuck at small island can't go shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by tienowen View Post
    Knives, sharpening stone, cook book and dining out for now. I used to buy clothes but not anymore, stuck at small island can't go shopping.
    Cast away?

Quote Originally Posted by malexthekid View Post
    If you like perite sirah, Bailey's of Glenrowan make a stunning one. The Durifs from Rutherglen range from similar at the lower alcohol content to just straight up delicioyy brutal at the warrabilla end. And I will second Nemo, if you go Warrabilla, they definitely need a couple of years.

As for stickies, heaps of options here, I imagine NZ must have some nice iced stickies.... As for fortified, my personal opinion is look for Rutherglen in Aus, stunning Muscats, Topaques and tawny's/vintage.

Let us know what you get.

My first kid is on the way, I already know I will get an extra half dozen of the S&K Vintage Port that year, and am starting to research on wines with long cellaring potential apart from the usual crazy expensive penfolds grange or henscke hill of grace.
    Careful of the alcohol content in some of those Durifs! The Warrabilla Perola's is often 18% (not fortified) but holds it very well and you don't realise how much you've consumed.

A serious wine nut should try one of the older blends (often called 'museum' or 'rare') Rutherglen Muscats and Tokays. They aren't cheap (upwards of 400 AUD for half bottle last I checked) but have an incredible layering of complex flavours. The younger, cheaper blends are also very nice, but with fresher fruity flavours. The intermediate blends are still complex and a little more approachable and pretty good value for money. These wines are not for cellaring, though.
    "My greatest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell my knives for what I told her they are worth"

gunshop just called. i'm having a rifle scope installed professionally. i am gonna add rifles back into my hunting rotation. my shoulders cant take full time archery anymore.

Went from Rifles to hunting handguns years... ok a couple decades ago... and still have not gone back. Couple new ones I'd love to add to the group but they will have to wait till life is good again.

Mmm vintage port. Now I want some...