Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats your most expensive hobby?

Once a collector, always a collector. For me it started with cameras. Canon SLR, Leica M, now I just use a Fuji digital (it looks like a Leica ...). Then it was watches (Rolex). Then knives (lots DE shaving is creeping up on the collector agenda a bit now. Luckily I have beautiful baby twins to distract me (and my $$$), so I'm a bit less focused on the collections. Then again, once a collector ...

Oh, I forgot stereo (Rega and Naim), but I've got that one under control

Quote Originally Posted by pkjames View Post
    I love my 4x5 as well, but it became a hobby that is way too expensive since there is no more shops that can develop the slides at an affordable price. Nor i have time for b&w anymore.
    Time is an issue indeed. Developing for me was OK as I never shot that much. Scanning was even more than developing - I used to pay ca. 7€ for a single scan (Hasselblad X5, so rather good quality). I keep telling myself I will go back to 4x5 (or even larger) in the (rather distant) future.

For me it was shoes. Nice shoes/boots, not sneakers. Then photography replaced that, and there's still the itch to continue, but I've for the most part gotten that under control. Past few years the knife thing has gotten a little out of control. Really trying to real that back in.
    And of course there's my daughter who's not even two yet...

Most of my money, goes to knives and stones, without question. I'm not super into stuff and so I usually give things away after I'm done with them, books, etc.
    I think the most ridiculous thing might be my Nintendo fanboy crap. I don't go too crazy, but I'm into it and anything video game related feels like a pretty indulgent expense.
    I did name my son Link...

Books. I buy a lot of books and food. Ate at a great Filipino restaurant last night.

Knifes and stones cost me a bundle but I also got a hole in my pocket from : Functional glass art, non cutting cooking/kitchen equipment, growing gear, hifi stuff, organic/exotic/high end produces to cook with (like vanilla from Tahiti), diverse small equipment, I even do a little bit of photography, I also like good shoes and wool clothing, it adds up. I like being stuffed up but it's tough being a gear head sometimes.

Woodworking is my most expensive hobby by far. The costs of wood and tools have exceeded the combined cost of all my knives and things are getting worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    I think I'm finally getting over G.A.S
    A familiar term on the guitar forums.
    +1! Although I'm kinda obsessed with stompboxes right now.

I've collected coins for the last 5 years, but that has slowed down a lot lately. Focus lately has been on infant kids and daycare.