Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 43 of 46 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats your most expensive hobby?

I used to think yachting was my most expensive hobby.
    Then I realized it is all the loose women, attracted to yachting, that really drains the wallet...

Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
    Nothing to be embarrassed about whatsoever. In my younger days (i.e., when I had time to sit and listen uninterrupted by a little kid) I would have considered trying those out. And also watching the kid drop a set of headphone onto the wood floor the other night kinda reinforced the need for me to be a bit cost-conscious on this. I just read the other night about the newest Focal model, which is a little less then half the cost of the Utopias -- those are on my radar if I can stay away from purchasing knives and watches for a couple months.
    I went to my dealer to listen to the McIntosh MHP1000 ($2000) but they were way to bright and tinny. I ended up auditioning the Utopia’s ($4000), and the clear ($1500) and went back the next week when the got in the elear ($1000). Was offered the Utopias for around $2500, so price difference wasn’t that bad. The sound performance was great, blow you away great. Didnt hear much of a difference between clear/elear but Utopia was marginally easier to listen to and larger soundstage. I’m split however on the open design; some music I prefer it (bass heavy rock), but other, more “delicate” acoustic or mellow tracks sounded better with closed backs.

My hearing is pretty sensitive to highs. In speakers the Dynaudio Esostar softdome tweeters in my old Eggleston Rosa’s were the most amazing and easy to listen to highs I’ve ever heard (irregardless of price). The Utopias had that softdome sound. The sound is def worth the cost (well, the $2500 sale price anyway).

At the end of the day, the Focal fit was just too heavy. I knew I was wearing huge cups and oversized headband. Even if I wasn’t moving around at a desk, just sitting jn a chair listening, I was “aware” of them at all times. After 30 minutes, had to take them off as I felt like I was wearing a hat too long and ears felt hot and suffocated almost.

I was blown away by the Audioquest Nighthawk/Nightowl Carbon fit; that floating headband makes them wearable for hours on end and you actually forget you’re wearing them. Audio performance was 95% of the Focal line initially, but after 30/45 min, they were actually easier to listen to. Sounstage is still large (just not as wide), low end present (just not as deep) and mid-range equally clear and “fast” without any lingering notes or muddiness. Given the ~$500 price point, it was a no brainer (went with closed back although I found the Nighthawk not as “open” and “airy” as the Focal open back design).

All were auditioned with stock supplied headphone cables. Used both internal McIntosh C50 headphone amp and short in-store initial audition using McIntosh MHA150 headphone amp (heard no real difference between those two but most likely due to store environment at the time). Critical listening done at home on C50 alone.

I primarily use when editing photos at home in the listening room/office and can’t play the full stereo (wilson watt/puppy V/MC452/C50/MR78). Previous headphones were Bose QC35 and Futuresonic MG5 Pro monitors. I am using the C50 internal headphone amp so I’m sure if you have a dedicated standalone headphone amp for it you’ll see more of a difference between the different models.

Thanks for the great info!

Utopias for $2500 was a great deal, as it would be hard to lose money on them when reselling. Knife equivalent would be getting a DT or Burke damascus gyuto for $1k.

I appreciate the Audioquest info, and your take on open- vs closed-back. Closed means less disturbance to others in the room, but loss of come 'air' is a compromise. Pretty much steers you to needing one each way, and you pick which one to listen to depending on the circumstance.

All this HiFi talk just reminds me that I would really love to drop a few k€ on some fine HiFi - my parents got (collaboration of me and some friends of mine) a pair of Infinity R80 (I know, tiny, but their living room is like 5 x 4 m if not a bit less), Casea Lynx (DAC for FLAC) and Casea Cassiopeia (Amp) + refurbished Sony PS-X 600 and man the clarity of the sound of that combination just blew my socks off. I would not mind the same setup just with R90. But alas - a unplanned purchase of a 2k€ beltgrinder means that I will have to wait on those R90 a little longer.

Mountain biking. Any mountain bikers here?

Quote Originally Posted by Lpn562 View Post
    I have a mountain bike but it has never seen a mountain.
    Don't drink out of ornamental ponds in Tiergarten. You will get sick.

Yup.

But currently unable to ride them due to an injury.

What are you riding?
    You may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful knife
    You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    Yup.

But currently unable to ride them due to an injury.

What are you riding?
    I hear ya about the injuries. Hope you heal up soon to be able to ride again. I’m on an Evil Uprising right now. Still on prehistoric 26” wheels. How about yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by DamageInc View Post
    I have a mountain bike but it has never seen a mountain.
    It’s never too late!

I hear ya about the injuries. Hope you heal up soon to be able to ride again. I’m on an Evil Uprising right now. Still on prehistoric 26” wheels. How about yourself?
    Thanks. It's been a stubborn injury so the Physio has banned me from hard effots and MTB for a few months. It's early winter here and I don't MTB much in winter as I have an aversion to wet trails (for trail conservation as well as drivetrain conservation reasons), so hopefully won't miss too much MTB.

Mostly ride a Trek Fuel 29er but still love my Pivot Mach5 and Scott Scale 26ers. I reckon the biggest differnce is in the dropper post, then the wheel diameter. I must say that Trek have nailed the geometry (especially the wheelbase, Which is shorter than the Pivot) for the 29er.

You may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful knife
    You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?