Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread: Whats your most expensive hobby?

Quote Originally Posted by malexthekid View Post
    If you like perite sirah, Bailey's of Glenrowan make a stunning one. The Durifs from Rutherglen range from similar at the lower alcohol content to just straight up delicioyy brutal at the warrabilla end. And I will second Nemo, if you go Warrabilla, they definitely need a couple of years.

As for stickies, heaps of options here, I imagine NZ must have some nice iced stickies.... As for fortified, my personal opinion is look for Rutherglen in Aus, stunning Muscats, Topaques and tawny's/vintage.

Let us know what you get.

My first kid is on the way, I already know I will get an extra half dozen of the S&K Vintage Port that year, and am starting to research on wines with long cellaring potential apart from the usual crazy expensive penfolds grange or henscke hill of grace.
    I will let you know what I get. It's a lot of fun researching wines for aging. Probably old hat to you but when I was researching Aussie wines to cellar i decided to tuck away a few Wynns John Riddochs, which was indulgent and Wynns Black label which is a great drop and an absolute steal for a 20yr wine. Would also like to cellar some Tyrell's Vat 1 semillon but I'd like to try a bottle with some bottle age on it first. I'll keep my eyes peeled for stickies back in AKL. Might be PMing for guidance

Appreciate (and am agonized by) the above info about stickies

Quote Originally Posted by rami_m View Post
    Cast away?
    Four Season Lanai City only 3k population on this island and owned by Larry Ellison
    http://www.fourseasons.com/lanai/

cigarettes, they're like 15 bucks a pack here in Canada though
    Blue skies over bad lands

The most expensive, hmmm . . . probably collecting Bordeaux wines, which I eventually gave up because I couldn't possibly replace the bottles of Latour or Las Cases at the pace I could drink them. I definitely appreciate that knives last a heck of a lot longer. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by KrutoyNozh View Post
    The most expensive, hmmm . . . probably collecting Bordeaux wines, which I eventually gave up because I couldn't possibly replace the bottles of Latour or Las Cases at the pace I could drink them. I definitely appreciate that knives last a heck of a lot longer. . . .
    i know a guy that had some Lafite Rothchild---- stuff..(i'm no wine expert). his cellar flooded and got super warm...and moldy. he was gonna just dump the entire load, but he gave it to his BIL..who gave me a couple of bottles. i got some friends over to look and they all asked me what i was going to do with it..i opened them. sadly..the unknown heat duration wasted the stuff..it was cool opening up such a cool bottle tho.

For me it's the same as many here, anything food related kitchenware, produces, eating out and now knives... and it's not only the money hole, it's the amount of time I spend on all of that.

I'd say hunting in general. For a sport that I only do once every two years (strictly sustenance hunting at this stage), I have entirely too much money tied up in rifles, optics, bows, reloading, bow press, etc.

Quick math in my head puts my hunting gear in the $30-$40K range. Yeesh, now I wish I hadn't done the math!

All that money tied up in gear for a sport that nowadays consists of me grabbing a inexpensive .270, some binoculars, and a hunting knife once every two years to harvest my sausage deer.