Sujihiki shopping

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lobby

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a sujihiki for work, that I will primarily use for raw fish. I would like a carbon knife, wa or yo, doesn't matter but it seems that yo are more prevalent in my price range which is under $200.

I have a few narrowed down, some of which dont have a ton of feedback on the forum, so i'm trying to get some help so i can pull a trigger on one.

I'm interested in this suisin, but haven't heard much about it.
$132 for a 270mm
http://korin.com/Suisin-High-Carbon-Steel-Sujihiki

Carbonext 300mm for $160
http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/KAGAYAKICarboNextSeries.html

And I know this is regarded as a decent intro knife

$88 for a 270
http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/FKMSeries.html

Any help narrowing down my selection would be appreciated. I'm open to other suggestions as well.

Not sure if this is against forum policy, but I am not yet allowed to post in the BST forum, but if anyone has a suji in my budget that they are selling, feel free to PM.

I have the 270mm Suisin from Korin, and enjoy using it. It has a very fine tip. Steel sharpens readily and at the price I don't feel like I have to treat it too gingerly. I am a home user though and only use it from time to time. I also put a funky dyed green burl handle on it, which makes it more fun to grab.

:thumbsup:

I made a long-term loan of my 270 Suisin to a forum member who had his kit stolen. He seemed to have a pretty good opinion of the knife. Recommended.

Rick

Sorry a little off topic, but what kind of raw fish duties do you have at work?

The carbon FKH 270mm is remarkably stiff and takes a crazy, aggressive edge. If you prefer a finer grained carbon steel, the Misono Swedish comes in mind, but that one does have some flex.

Sorry a little off topic, but what kind of raw fish duties do you have at work?

Depending on the menu, I am responsible for breaking down whole halibut, whole salmon, whole black cod, tuna loins, and hamachi sides.

The main thing I am in need of a slicer for is doing hamachi sashimi, and we do a poached tuna sashimi. It would also help in skinning and cleaning up the salmon.

I have the 270 Suisin gyuto, and like it very much. It stood up quite well to daily use in a busy neighborhood restaurant. It's quite thin and a breeze to sharpen even for a relative n00b like me. I'm told the steel is less than awesome, which I interpreted as "less than super-hard," which meant that I was quite vigilant about its edge and sharpened it regularly when it was my go-to (I fell into using a Kikuichi carbon 270, which I like a hair more). If the suji has similar characteristics, which I assume it does, it ought to be an awesome knife that you don't feel you have to baby, aside from regular sharpening.

I also have the Fujiwara *FKH* (a different line than the OP specified) carbon 270mm sujihiki and use it regularly in my new job as a butcher. It takes a good edge and holds it, and holds up to abuse pretty well, which is good since my co-workers aren't fellow knife fetishists. I take it to a 4000 grit stone for a second or two every few days, and the edge holds well.

I have the 270 Suisin gyuto, and like it very much. It stood up quite well to daily use in a busy neighborhood restaurant. It's quite thin and a breeze to sharpen even for a relative n00b like me. I'm told the steel is less than awesome, which I interpreted as "less than super-hard," which meant that I was quite vigilant about its edge and sharpened it regularly when it was my go-to (I fell into using a Kikuichi carbon 270, which I like a hair more). If the suji has similar characteristics, which I assume it does, it ought to be an awesome knife that you don't feel you have to baby, aside from regular sharpening.

I also have the Fujiwara *FKH* (a different line than the OP specified) carbon 270mm sujihiki and use it regularly in my new job as a butcher. It takes a good edge and holds it, and holds up to abuse pretty well, which is good since my co-workers aren't fellow knife fetishists. I take it to a 4000 grit stone for a second or two every few days, and the edge holds well.

I actually meant to link to the carbon FKH line (editing now). I am a butcher at my current job, and find that I am always borrowing my chefs suji, but its certainly time for my own.

One thing I should have mentioned that may make a difference: The Suisin carbon gyuto had a fairly large, almost bulky, handle, and the sujihiki in that line looks to have the same. The Fujiwara FKH has a fairly small handle, I find, and I have small hands for a guy. Your mileage may vary, of course, depending on your grip and the task at hand, but it's my one complaint about that knife. But for well under $100, it's still a steal.

Depending on the menu, I am responsible for breaking down whole halibut, whole salmon, whole black cod, tuna loins, and hamachi sides.

The main thing I am in need of a slicer for is doing hamachi sashimi, and we do a poached tuna sashimi. It would also help in skinning and cleaning up the salmon.

If you do not have a sujihiki a carbon FKH will work. I used carbon Masamoto suji's at work. For slicing Hamachi sashimi & poached tuna nothing beats a carbon yanagiba. Not trying to make you spend more coin:D . I used to use cheap yanagi's & Suji's to slice sashimi. When my duties increased including sushi topping got my first quality carbon yanagiba never looked back.

JKI sells a white steel Gesshin Uraku 270mm yanagiba quality blade at very reasonable price. Plus you would own a sweet blade with saya. Jon JKI has online video's teaching Single Bevel Yanagiba sharpening.

Really like that oily Hamachi sashimi with real wasabi

Misono sweedish 270mm Sujihiki. $199. Plus it has a dragon on it. A dragon.

Another plus one on the misono Swedish. I had one and it excels at fish fabrication. Too flexible for other protein work though IMO.
Did you hear it has a dragon?

I heard it has a dragon, but honestly, I'm not a fan of the design. Kinda too flashy for me.

Get a yanigaba, it will excel at the tasks you describe. Jon at JKI can help with selection and size (I rec at least 270) or Koki at JCK.

I heard it has a dragon, but honestly, I'm not a fan of the design. Kinda too flashy for me.
Believe me, once the patina has installed and the blade has turned to different grades of black, blue and grey, nothing flashy about it. Just a classical beauty thanks to the very nice dark brown handle with brass rivets.

Back