Recommend a petty

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linecooklife

Reaction score
Looking for a carbon petty, probably 180 or close to it. Something for smaller tasks; cleaning meat/ silver skin, supereming citrus, odd jobs. Wa or western handle. Somewhere between one and two hundred

I hear good things about the Gesshin Ginga line. Don't have one, but it gets lots of praise and they don't last long on the exchange here. So that's a good sign. Should be at the upper end of your budget in White #2 and Wa handled.

I just parted with a Gesshin 180 in carbon and can't say enough good things about it. Took it to a few Tloins and it felt like that is what it was made for. But that carbon. Just not a carbon guy. Would have put proceeds towards a stainless variant except for an impending arrival of another.

If you like carbon, you'll likely like the GG a lot.

I know you did I missed that deal by two minutes now I feel bad paying full price. I was also thinking of trying blue steel because I already have the gesshin guyto in white two

If you specify your location it would be easier to recommend something, since shipping+taxes could add up rather quickly. If you are in US, Gesshin Ginga sounds like a good choice.

If you specify your location it would be easier to recommend something, since shipping+taxes could add up rather quickly. If you are in US, Gesshin Ginga sounds like a good choice.

I'm in the CONUS

For removing silverskin I would (personal preference) be looking for a stiff blade with bit more belly towards the tip. My (limited) experience so far shows that stainless knives tend to be less stiff than carbon ones with exception of Yoshikane SKD and SLD. Right now I would be curios about 180 Kochi (more substantial at the spine) and 165 stainless clad Itinomonn - or - as mentioned above the 210 suji. Maksim has free shipping (DHL express) worldwide ybove 1000 DKK (around $150).

I would have to disagree with Matus about a stiff blade. For me, a stiff blade will most likely have a thicker spine thus not being able to scoop under silverskin like butter. If you are cleaning silverskin and sinew, gesshin ginga is THE best knife IMHO for this task. Like everyone states, this knife is meant for it. Literally melts through both raw or cooked protein. I will keep this knife my whole life until it gets passed down to family heir.

420layersofdank, that argument about stiff blade was based mainly on my experience with Yoshikane SLD 150 petty and the personal experience that stiff blade offers more precision and allows to exercise more tangential-pressure when 'pushing' the meat off the silver skin without the knife without the knife bending in the process.

I do agree that you do not want a thick knife for this purpose though. But your description of the Ginga does make me want to try it :)

Back